PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

charliejeffy

Lurker
Nov 21, 2015
I'm currently 17(I hope this forum doesn't have an 18 age limit thingy, because that would suck haha) and I got into pipes a few days ago because they fascinated me. I used to be a cigarette smoker(quit as soon as I got interested in pipes). To be clear - I haven't gotten my first pipe yet, but I will in a few weeks. Already ordered it and my sister's bringing it from the UK on the 11th along with tobacco and pipe cleaners.
Sooooo... How old were you guys when you started smoking a pipe? Do you have any tips for me? I've watched a lot of videos in those few days on how to pack a pipe, how to light the tobacco, etc..
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Same age as you, 17. Advice, stop before you start, but seeing as how I didn't listen to that one, get you a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corncobs to give that briar an ocassional break and to have a fledgling collection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No pipes until I was in my thirties, but like most young people, I fiddled around with smoking, turned green on cigarettes at about age six, etc.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I chewed till three years ago. Wish I never started chewing. Pipes are much more enjoyable, and less expensive.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
21. I never dabbled with cigs. The 2nd hand smoke always gives me a headache. It must be the ammonia, mercury, cyanide or whatever is put in them.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I started at age 37. Started for relaxation. My mind is constantly running, and at the time I couldn't master the art of doing "nothing". Pipe Smoking has helped me to calm down.
I started with an Missouri Meershaum corn cob pipe, and Prince Albert pipe tobacco. Been smoking a pipe for three years now.
Still enjoy the classic burley based OTC tobaccos like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Religh., Prince Albert, Granger, and Half and Half a lot. A corn cob pipe and one of these tobaccos is a classic! It's just simple goodness!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Charliejeffy like you I started when I was 17.

I am now 64 and made a lot of mistakes along the way.

Unfortunately for me at that time there were no great places like this forum to come to for advice so most of my learning was by trial and error.

This forum is a great place to start your journey into the wonderful world of pipe smoking and tobacco. :puffpipe:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
In the past I would enjoy an occasional cigar but didn't pick up the pipe until earlier this year at 45 years of age. Late to the party.....story of my life. :puffy:

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Never smoked, except for occasional cigarillo in college. Now am 57 and started pipe smoking 2 1/2 years ago. Wish I had started long time ago

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I started smoking cigars sparsely after I turned 18, but, like mso489, I didn't start with pipes as a form of relaxation until my thirties. It was a way for me to learn to slow down and taste life.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Started at about 18. Got bit BAD and laid of for more than 40 years! Study well on this Forum so that doesn't happen to you.
Plugugly

charliejeffy

Lurker
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. I'll study the forums carefully so as not to make much mistakes(even if it's more enjoyable when you learn by trial and error).

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I picked up cigars on my 18th birthday. Waited till everyone went to bed and snuck out on the carport to have my first one. Grandpa, who has always had my number, smelled it across the street in his bedroom and promptly gave me the smoking lecture the next morning. Often times I wish I had listened.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I started pipes at age 23, but unfortunately started smoking cigs at age 16. Once I took up the pipe, cigs took back seat. Now I'm 46 and haven't touched a cigarette in over 8 years or so.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
25. Other than a cigar, its the only tobacco I've used. I do enjoy some second-hand cig smoke now and again! :wink:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I waited until I was 19 and aboard my first duty assignment - an icebreaker homeported in Seattle. Pipes beat cigarettes as far as I'm concerned.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I was 18 when I started smoking the pipe. I first smoked cheap cigars when I was 16, but once I picked up the pipe, I knew that it would be a life long friend. I just celebrated my 45th year of pipe smoking in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.