PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Hi all. I have been looking for a birth date Dunhill for a little while and I think I may have found one. Though I could be reading the age keys totally wrong lol. Can anyone tell me if this is a 1968? There is hardly any information from the seller but I do have this picture. What do you guys think?
dunhill-600x450.jpg

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm fairly certain that's a 1968.
Some Dunhill lines reset the superscript after ten years.
For example:

1960^4=1964

1970^4=1974
Tanshell Pipes do not reset from the 1960 baseline, as far I as know. So again, for example, you could have 1960^18 which would amount to a 1978 Dunhill Tanshell.
I'm far from a Dunhill expert, and I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that you have a '68 pictured.

pipephil

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
If the year suffix is "8" the important thing is to check the size of the number.

If the "8" is smaller and raized it's 1950+8

If the "8" has the same size than the "D" of ENGLAND it's 1960+8 (this case I believe)

You may find out all this checking by your self here

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/cledat-en1a.html

the starting page of the Dunhill dating key here

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/cledat-en1.html

It's a breeze

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Well I didn't win it. I put in what I thought was a pretty good snipe bid but someone beat me. Oh well. One of these days. :)

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Sorry to read that you lost the pipe. I usually view losing auctions as a sign that something even better (and probably more expensive) is awaiting me beyond the horizon. :twisted:

pipephil

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
I wouldn't buy a tanshell from the 1960. Rather one of the early 50's when Dunhill used to sandblast Algerian Briar.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.