PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Heard on the radio today, driving to work, that there is definitely maybe a possibility that 3rd hand smoke causes cancer. Researchers believe, though, that it will be some time before they can *prove* a link.
Apparently they can't get enough people who habitually suck the drapes and lick the wallpaper in a smoker's house. But... when they do... then there'll be some serious legislation....
(We're safe at my house. Particulate matter from the smoke just won't stick to the dust.)

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
It is the risk of contracting lung cancer merely from meeting somebody who has been near a smoker. If you can smell smoke then you can die, right there, on the spot.
Nobody has ever caught lung cancer or died in this way before, but what it it's possible? Even though it makes no sense at all, medically, if we can save just a single child from the risk of dropping dead after noticing that his uncle's sweater smells of smoke a bit, shouldn't we take a cautious stance and eradicate all smoking completely? I mean, why risk a child's life just because some fool wants to smoke in their own home which somebody you know might visit one day? And, at the same time we could get rid of all those horrible pipe smokers with their stupid beards.
How can you argue with that?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Ya know, it's about damn time those brilliant minds in DC started looking after those poor souls who habitually suck the drapes and lick the wallpaper in a smoker's house. :crazy:

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Sounds like a good name for a band I have been meaning to start... "Third Hand Smoke!"

Jan 8, 2013
This shit right here kills me. What about second hand exhaust fumes? What about industrial pollution? Much larger threats exist, yet we have people dedicating their lives to researching 3rd hand tobacco smoke.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
plateauguy must be joking, ignorance like that is so old fashioned.
I'm going to lick the windows now, the residue is sounding good.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Save the women and children!
...or something like that.
For those lost on the subject, yeah: There are places that forbid people from smoking in their own homes now because the residue from the smoke that was there at some point in time is also carcinogenic.
And the emphasis is on saving toddlers and infants, who are more likely to contact these carcinogens than the average adult, because they put things in their mouth.
Now... at some point, some sane person has got to realize that there are TONS of environmental "particulates" that are standing in line to kill us long before "3rd hand smoke" is. One mentioned not long ago was incense. The incense that people burn in their homes has 4 times the particulates that tobacco smoke does.
--- And don't get me started on people who don't put water in their broilers before they cook meat! (You can't even see in their living rooms and bathrooms let alone their kitchens, for all the particulates in the air!).
LOL
Yeah. Congressmen looking to keep their names on something, anything, that's moving through the legislative process.
(ah geez... maybe I should explain about the broilers... Fat dripping onto the hot pan makes smoke. But putting just a little bit of water in, enough to cover the bottom, quenches the fat in water that won't let it smoke. It's one of the tips for broiling that keeps your smoke alarms from going off. IF you didn't know that, try it).

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
PS: Pot is 12 times as harsh on your respiratory system as tobacco. But those studies were done with cigarette smokers. That's an unfair comparison in my book, because no one who smokes pot can keep up with, or afford to keep up with, a chain smoker of generic cigarette tobaccos. One cigarette vs. one joint? Huh uh. Doesn't make sense. The cigarette smoker is going to out pace the recreational weed guy by a factor of at least 150 or so -- probably way more -- rendering the "12 times" a moot point.
No. I don't smoke pot. I just think about things and make distinctions about what is pure BS and what might be worth remembering.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Google "Forth Hand Smoke" it has been "proven" that used clothing and furniture in an environment that has ever been exposed to tobacco smoke can cause cancer.
Its on the Internet, so it must be true.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The 3rd hand smoke BS (as well as 2nd hand for that matter) is necessary to distract and buffalo the masses because “medical science” doesn’t want people asking uncomfortable questions about what is actually causing all of the cancers...especially in children. And why after so many years and so much money being embezzled donated, none of the “research organizations” ever come up with any answers.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I always thought that cigarettes were the largest cause of statistics! To be frank here there are always certain groups in society who feel they know what is best for the majority. The bulk are professional politicians who have never held a real world job, followed naturally by lawyers. I have always believed that to serve in the political area one must have held employment in the real world for at least 15 years. This would get rid of the morons who come out of think tanks and straight in Parliament. As for fourth hand smoke this is an 'opportunity' for the various law firms that specialize on Class Action suits that feed of the body corpus of you and me. Sometimes I think that old Hughie Long had it about right on peoples rights! Excuse me while I light up my pipe and blow it in the face of some disapproving individual!

Status
Not open for further replies.