PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'd like to have a nice Sat/NAV system with touchscreen that's iPhone friendly installed in my new car. Anybody have any advice or thoughts?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Not to be a snob John, but I'm a fan or either reel-to-reel or vinyl. Does Alpine make a R2R with Sat/NAV for Porsches?

Dec 28, 2015
Hey Nate I remember a friend of mine telling me back in the days of cassettes that one day we would be able to play records in our cars. He said they would use lasers. And they would be little discs. I told him he was full of shit. I guess he wasn't. Of course now those little shiny discs are obsolete too.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Phil, I love imaps, but inevitably end up fumbling. I want an in car nav that also has a backup video feature.
Cobguy, I am not like most Porsche owners. I blew my wad on the car :( I'm still adjusting to the whole premium gas thing that's required.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Check out Crutchfield. You can compare the many options available. That's the best I've got...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Crutchfield is your best bet. Not the cheapest, but you get the right stuff. FWIW, I use the Wayz app on my phone and in my in-dash/touch NAV mostly gets unused.
If you have a dash cubby, a small XM receiver is very convenient. I've been an XM subscriber since they started.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Crutchfield needs to know if your car has the Bose system or not. Here's your choices for the non-Bose system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ARtfJHmA513/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
They'll include any dash mount kits and the wiring harness connectors, making install a snap. They may or may not work with your steering wheel controls, but you can buy a Steering Wheel interface from them that connects those controls (they sell Axxess/Metro brand). I had their SWI in my Subaru and it worked great.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The MOST system in late-model Porsches is touchy when it comes to aftermarket installs, so make sure whoever installs it has experience with them, or you'll end up paying a dealer an hour's labor to get it working.
Most Porsche people prefer to stay OEM. Definitely hang onto the OEM head unit, ie don't sell it, because the car will be harder to sell without it.
'09 was the first year Porsche offered Bluetooth, but even to this day it's only for phone, not streaming. See if yours has the Universal Audio Interface. It's got 3.5mm, 30-pin iPhone, and USB ports. I'm not sure where it's located in a Cayman, in the Carrera it's inside the center console cubby. USB is only for charging; 30-pin you'll need an adapter to lightning-plug for the newer iphones, and it will NOT charge the phone. You could use a 3.5mm to interface, and the USB-lightning to charge, but then you won't get on-screen control. Basically it's a stupid, outdated system.
There is another way, which is what I use on mine. It's called an iSimple Tranzit BLU HF. Costs about $100 on fleabay, plus another $25 for a Motorola-to-PCM antenna adapter. Gives me hands-free phone plus streaming for music and GPS.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks SBug! That's useful info! I'm trying hard not to be concerned about resale value, but I'll most certainly be careful to keep all OEM material. As a tech guy, I want a nice nav system and the ability stream wirelessly. I've been doing searches online looking at photos of other systems and it's def possible to put together a system that looks as close to factory as possible. Porsche is all about performance and I had no expectations for the entertainment center and it has met those expectations. After searching crutchfield and other retails and photos I'll likely go with an Alpine system. I also will have a camera system for those days when my back hurts and turning around hurts. I have absolutely fallen in love with the PDK system!!! I get why the purists will knock it, but for a daily driver, it's awesome to have a choice. The shifting speed is insane!!! I absolutely adore this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.