PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
So after smoking my pipes i make it a point to clean the rim of my bowls with a q-tip and saliva as to not accumulate excess tar (not so attractive) but I have an Ashton bent billard xxx with pebble grain that holds some tar in the crevices and when i clean it i notice a little bit of the color come out....my intution says not to clean it but how with the tar buildup affect it over the years and is that the right thing to do?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Personally, I think it adds character to a blast or rustication so I do not worry about cleaning the crevices. There are methods to do it but I have not tried any so I am of no help. However, unless it really bothers you, I would not mess with it.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
You are right. You can start to wipe off the stain if you clean the rim too excessively. Maybe you should add some carnuba wax back on to protect the finish. I had an estate pipe with a dark rim and noticed the same thing. I just quit cleaning it as much, lol!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on over-doing it. Let it darken some, and just get the sticky stuff off every once and again. Perhaps you're using too much liquid and drying off the wood, pipe wipe or some light oils will rejuvenate the colour.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use wood matches to light my pipe and mostly avoid darkening the rim of the bowl. At least it

gives the best chance of avoiding that. My after-smoke cleaning drill is scooping out the bowl,

wiping it out with a paper towel, and cleaning the airway with a pipe cleaner. Then I give the pipe

a quick polish with a cotton cloth (bandana usually). This keeps the briar and stem bright mostly

without adding any wax or polish, which I think tend to draw dust and debris. Even on my oldest

pipes, some decades old, I do not notice any diminished finish. They darken a bit, but seem to stay

evenly colored. I don't see any accumulation in the rusticated portions of the rims, bowls, or shanks.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Thanks for the advice, I'll just let it be and give it a polish from time to time..doesn't bother me much just trying to keep it properly maintained for the years to come. Will use a polishing cloth ocasionally and be careful with the flame....that seems to be a combination of all the advice. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.