After 2 Weeks I Finally Got To Enjoy A Pipe!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been fighting off a lung infection and trying to keep pneumonia at bay and finally turned a corner this past weekend. I took the day off yesterday to do some errands and ended the afternoon on my deck with the sun shining on a beautiful fall/winter afternoon, a bowl full of Prince Albert (wanted to start back slowly) and my Trypis Volcano. It was devine! I watched the squirrels gathering the last of their hoards for the winter, listened to some classical music and enjoyed a nice cup of coffee while slowly puffing away.
Incidentally this is the second time in a row I've had one of those transcendent smokes with PA while puffing outside. Perhaps I'm noticing a trend here! The pipe is new and only been smoked once, I did the swirl method for packing and burnt right to the bottom with no moisture at all in the bowl. What a great way to get back up on the horse! Here's a picture of my ugly mugg while I enjoyed that pipe. Happy puffing today ladies and gentlemen.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Glad you're feeling better!
I stayed home with a cold today - the new job encourages that sort of thing, instead of insisting that you come in and infect everybody else - but I did treat myself to a bowl of Lancer's Slices while taking the trash out, and had much the same experience - one charring light, one regular light, and off it went. Had some gurgle, but it's pretty cold here today, so I kind of expected some additional condensation. Always nice when it all comes together.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey, glad you're feeling better, and I don't really see you as an ugly mug, but the face and the pipe complement each other. I too have had some nice moments with good old PA, and with classical music also. Nice to hear that you enjoy classical, not many people seem to anymore. Stay well, and enjoy the smoke again!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks agnostic, I have always enjoyed classical music for relaxing and concentrating. I'll often put it on when I'm working out some heavy problem at work that needs some creative thinking. Yesterday was some Pavarotti, some classical and a few new jazz/blues tunes that I enjoyed. If you can get past the fact that it's Miley Cyrus, this song is a great classic and this kid can really sing! (sorry I have a young daughter so I'm stuck with these new pop kids, at least this girl has some real pipes). I love the jazzy sound of this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZsunzjDXU

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Glad you're feeling better! I've never packed a Trypis with the swirl method, I tried it a few times with my Brighams and I didn't really like the way it packed or all the small crumbs (I found at least) that develop from this. I just 1,2,3 or stuff 'n puff. Happy smoking!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for the Miley clip br. I like her singing voice, and I even like her speaking voice. I'm not usually into pop music, but there's no denying the vocal talent of some of these young pop singers. Given the song material that I find enjoyable, I can totally get into them. Got into Maddona when I heard her sing the Dick Tracy movie soundtrack, and 10 years ago, my grandkids played Christina Aguilera's Stripped CD and I really got into some of the songs on it. Great voice, lousy recording though. And then there was Amy Winehouse.... what can I say? A train wreak whose voice will be missed.

Ok, enough off topic for now. Time to fire up my evening smoke!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Must've been great to enjoy a stellar bowl after a 2 week break. Glad to hear you are feeling better.
This weather in South Dakota may force a break for me. Just got in from a quick smoke in the garage. Windchill outside says minus 13. Not much better in the garage. Hard to enjoy a pipe while frozen.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Congrats BR. I know that if you're like me, 2 weeks without a pipe was probably WORSE than the lung infection!
But, seriously, glad you're okay, and it didn't turn into something more serious.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Bryan, it wasn't fun but I caught it in time and got it dealt with. As for not smoking, I was sick enough that I didn't even care that I couldn't smoke! I only smoke a bowl a day in the evening so it wasn't too bad and I had no problems. However, I won't lie, it was wonderful to finally light up a bowl!!!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I caught a cold on my trip to France, and as I told my wife, I am convinced it is because I was forced to cut-down my pipe smoking since I couldn't smoke in her parents apartment and it was freezing cold outside. I believe the tobacco smoke in my Lakeland Flakes would have killed any cold virus before they had a chance. Before this, I hadn't gotten sick in at least a year...
I bet that first bowl tasted damn good. I love Prince Albert, and smoke Burley all day at my office these days. Either Prince Albert, Carter Hall, or Burley London Blend. I'm starting to really love Burley. Perfect smoke for letting the mind wander.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have 2 tubs of CH in my cellar at the moment and I'm thinking PA is just different enough to pickup a tub on my next order. I love the simple flavours of the burley myself, you don't have to fuss with these old blends and they just taste good. I use CH as my "everyday" smoke and I treat myself to higher quality tobaccos when the mood strikes, things like Capstan Blue, Escudo, Best Brown Flake. Perhaps its my inner Scott showing through and I use the cheap stuff and save the good stuff for special occasions!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I like them both, also. Burley London Blend I just picked up at the local B&M because I heard they were no longer making and I wanted to try before it disappeared. I think you'd like it. Tastes a lot like SWR to me, but burns much slower, which I like. I bounce back and forth between CH and PA and not sure which I like more. I find PA to be a little stronger in Nicotine, because I don't immediately feel the need for another bowl afterwards, like I do with CH.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Nicotine is not a good thing for me, I'm very sensitive to it so I generally go for milder tobaccos. I've not noticed the difference to be honest, but I've smoked way more CH so I'll see what the PA does to me this weekend when I have some more time. I may have to try the London Burley, thanks for the recommendation.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like it was a perfect smoke indeed.!!!!

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I agree BR. When you're sick even the love of a good smoke just seems to go out the window. Probably because it wouldn't be such a good smoke. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle again.

Status
Not open for further replies.