PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
56f5c1bf758e9268ed6cb78817ea3c40.jpg

I recently acquired my first African Meerschaum estate pipe in pristine condition. It's a beautiful piece and a great smoker so far. I have several Turkish meerschaum pipes in my collection, but this is new to me. Do any of you gentlemen (or ladies) have any experience with African meerschaum?

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Didn't know there was such a thing as African Meerschaum, but looks absolutely beautiful.

~Ron

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Petes03:

It's a "Barling" from London and smokes as good as it looks. Maybe a bit heavier than Turkish meer, but clearly lighter than briar.

Aug 1, 2012
I have 3 African meers and I like them a lot. One of them hasn't been getting any attention recently so I might just have to fix that. I'm glad you like yours.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That is a beauty - congrats! I have only 3 meers, two of which are African. I think they are fine as smokers, but my white Turkish meer (a 1910 Sommer) delivers a drier, cooler smoke I have to say.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I think...could be wrong...that there are no new meers coming out of the African mines. I have one I bought as 'new old stock' marked Amboseli

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The ones directly from Tanzania like Kiko tend to that black finish. On the other hand, the majority of the African Meers that went to the Isle of Mann to produce African Meers for Peterson, GBD, etc. were often tawny or off-white with a blackened rim. Either way, I've never seen an African Meer that was as white and pure as a Turkish meer but the basic smoking qualities are about the same.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have a Peterson Dublin/Poker that's cream colored and blackened around the crest of the bowl. I've owned it for quite some time, and it's one of my favorites.
Russ

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I have one marked with an elephant on the side. It is an off white or ivory in color and t looks like the top has been airbrushed a dark brown or black. Came in an Amboseli box. Is this one that may have been produced at Mann?

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have a meerschaum from the 60's that is imprinted on the side " genuine block meerschaum " - had been a rusticated black - but it dropped into some alcohol a year ago over nite by mistake & faded most of the black to dull gray - the stem is a mess
BUT genuine block meerschaum - - does this sound like african - was never white. rustication looked like the image above
needs a serious walker touch

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I also have an African Meer with an Elephant on the side and says " Genuine Block Meerschaum ".

Smokes great.

The African Meer does feel different from the Turkish ones, a tiny bit heavier and it just feels different, hard to explain.

I bought this from an estate, so I have no idea if it was as white as Turkish Meer to start with.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Handsome pipes! I've yet to experience African Meers, and I hope someday I can acquire one. I only smoke Meers (except every July 26, which is Briar-day for me), but I always ponder the differences in puffing between African and Turkish Meers.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Very nice looking pipe. I just ran across African meers on someone's ebay store for the first time, but can't remember who it was.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010

I got this Peterson Meer new in the early '70s. It's been a favorite ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.