Affordable, True Army/Military Mount Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I thoroughly enjoy the aesthetic and alleged practicality of a straight military mount pipe, but it seems like there is a very limited selection for under $100 dollars. Most pipes in this price range are merely styled to look like military mount pipes while still fitting together with a mortise and tenon, such as the Stanwell Army Mount series. The only true military mounts for less than $100 were giant Petersons that just seem too bulky to take out and about, which I think counters some of the practicality of the military mount pipes for on-the-go cleaning and storage.
So I have two question:

1) Do faux military mounts such as those found on the Stanwells mentioned earlier retain any of the benefits of the real deal?

2) Are there any more affordable true military mount pipes (ideally with an acrylic bit) that you all are aware of, or is it really that much more expensive to produce a pipe with this sort of construction?
Thanks!

Everyone has a different concept of "expensive," but I just don't think that you're going to find many new pipes with a compression fitted stem for less than $100, unless it's some unique bucket pipe. My cheapest compression fit was a Chacom for about $120, and that was a few years ago. Maybe keep an eye on ebay? Or, save up for a few months.

Mar 1, 2014
Vauen Classic Sandblast 4415

Big, solid, nice blast, and a very real Military mount. I have two pipes in that configuration.

The price is very attractive coming from the UK: http://smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Vauen_Classic_Sandblast.html
Smokingpipes.com also has a very good sale on the Duke line right now, the Sandblasts coming in at $95: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/
Tobaccopipes.com actually has pictures of all their pipes disassembled http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-churchwarden-smooth-3613-tobacco-pipe/

If you look at the regular Vauen Churchwardens most of them have a Military mount (those aren't under $100, I'm just being a fanboy now).

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Rats, I suppose this acquisition will have to wait for a while. I'll continue keeping an eye out for estates. Thank you all for the responses thus far!

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Ah, I didn't see that last post! Thanks for pointing out those Vauen pipes, they are the best option I've seen. Especially with that sale! The very first pipe on the page for the Duke series is quite enticing...

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
For new and extremely reasonable prices check out the Ropp line (such as shown at smokingpipes.com).

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm afraid that I'm about to start sounding terribly picky, but I can't get past the weird p-lip like button on the Dr. Grabow. Otherwise it seems like quite a steal. I have some mixed feelings about Ropp's shapes, but the barrel/poker may still grow on me, though I wish they had just made it a billiard. We shall see!
Thank you all again for the continued recommendations, they are greatly appreciated!

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I may have found a winner! As per your suggestions, I searched about on Ebay and came up with a peculiar brand called Golden Gate (GG) out of Ukraine. I found very little regarding the brand and their pipes on the Internet, but I did find was quite positive. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge about these pipes?
Check out the pipes here.

Let us know how ot smokes for you.

But, I have to wonder if just having a compression fit stem worth chancing such a cheap Unknown make of pipe? I mean, military stems are kind of quaint. I have a six pipe rack full, with a Ferndown at the top tier of them, but once you start smoking it, it will all boil down to how great a smoker the pipe is for you. Is having a compression fit stem more valuable than the quality of the pipe as a whole? And, why not just save up and get a good one. For $100 you could at least get a GBD.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Fair points, of course. As it happens, this will not likely be a purchase I make in the near future. This has been more of a reconnaissance mission of sorts, just checking out what options exist that resemble my ideal pipe at a manageable price (for me). Whether or not I can afford to buy a $100 pipe, I just can't justify the purchase to myself at this point. What little I can find on GG pipes is encouraging, so while they are not a sure bet, it doesn't seem that I'd be throwing my money away. And I dunno, I just like military mounts. It's worth the effort to search for what I want. *if there were a shrugging smiley it would go here*

Mar 1, 2014
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Briarworks-Classic/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=194375
Speaking of affordable Military mounts. That's probably the best pipe for the money on the market.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Thank you for reminding me of the briarworks pipes, frozen! I don't think I've heard a single bad thing about them or the fellas who run the operation. I especially like their Icarus line.

tj110

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
I don't think the Briarworks Classic in that link is a true army mount, just looks like one. I’ll double-check when I get home. Otherwise it's a nice small pipe once broken in.

Status
Not open for further replies.