Affected taste on the pipe using different flavor tobacco.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

xavkitsune

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I think the ghosting is why my bowls always taste bad near the end. since up until recently I hadn't the money to buy more than one semi-cheap pipe at a time(a 30$ Dr Grabow or a 25$ thing from a chinese tobacco shop run out of a renovated garage turned convenience store) I used the same pipe for vanilla, cherry, chocolate, caramel and such.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's pipe and tobacco smoking, do as you wish. It's a very personal activity so, whatever gives you a satisfactory experience. It all depends on what you expect and what you will settle for. Some smokers happily go through life owning only one pipe. Others want a different pipe for each blend or a different pipe for each bowl during the day. Each of us can only speak to our own experiences and expectations. Some are convinced their way is the only acceptable method and desire every pipe smoker to accept their style as correct. My palate is not sufficiently developed, apparently, to worry about ghosting. I've been contentedly, sometimes happily, smoking for 50+ years.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think the ghosting is why my bowls always taste bad near the end.
Bad taste may be souring rather than ghosting. Does there tend to be a lot of moisture in the heel of the bowl after you are finished smoking?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have quite a few pipes, by my lights anyway, so I'm not fussy about it. If I smoked Lakeland aromatics, I'd confine those to one pipe or set of pipes. As it is, I move freely between English, Balkan, various tobacco-forward aromatics, burleys and burley blends, Va., Va./Per, and so on. Some people are sensitive to Latakia as a ghosting factor, but I don't notice it, or perhaps it is a pleasant addition to other blends and I don't even think about it. I guess people with extra sensitive taste senses have the luxury of acute appreciation of flavors but also have to be more careful about residual flavors. Like I say, I'm not particularly fussy.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
xavkitsune, might I suggest getting some corn cobs? reasonable and they smoke true. Oh and Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.