PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Here are some pics for those that have not seen what a "carb" pipe looks like.
Firsy, the Aerosphere and the Kaywoodie side by side. The Aerosphere, I bought from Cyndi. It came in very good shape, with only very minor wear. The Kaywoodie, I bought off Ebay, and it was screwed up. The stem was overclocked (screw in type stinger) and the carb hole was plugged, (possibly intentionally). I rehabbed the Kaywoodie by re-clocking the stinger, and boring out the carb.
imag1253f.jpg

Next is the carb hole on the Aerosphere. It is in the stem, and consists of a brass fitting / plug with a small hole. It introduces air when you draw on the pipe, making for a cooler smoke. It actually works very well, and doesn't over-draft, even while lighting. The pipe smokes well, and you can always put your finger tip over the hole while drawing if you just want to introduce less draft for some reason.
imag1254m.jpg

And, finally, the carb on the Kaywoodie, which is located on the bottom of the bowl. It is also a brass fitting, with the same function as described above. It works well, and as described, although I tend to cover it with my finger when I light the pipe.
imag1255c.jpg

So, there you go....

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I understand the concept. But, it seems it would take away the flavour of the tobacco. Course, I have never smoked one. Is it a cooler smoke?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Nice pipes, portascat! The different placements of them are interesting--the Kaywoodie would seem to be more inclined to change the burning characteristic slightly by allowing air underneath the ember, while the Duncan is merely "thinning" the smoke with air from the stem. Does the Kaywoodie's carb drip or fill with condensation?

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So does the carb seem to noticeably result in less smoke? I assume it would since less suction would be applied to the bowl resulting in less air passing through the cherry and baccy. Like having a hole in your bellows.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Sweet, I think I'll have to find one of these suckers... I like the Rhodesian.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for posting this. I had a general idea, but wasn't for sure. I have never actually seen one for sale but will keep an eye out for them. I am a mad puffer and often burn my tounge in my efforts to relax after a stressfull day at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.