Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
For all those aeromatic smokers (including me):
If you are an aeromatic smoker and you know of blends that are a MUST TRY,
what are they?
are there any brands of blends that are just superb that you would recommend any blends from that brand?
Also rate the blends in your post with 1-5 star rating...
1 being decent, to 5 being to die for

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't smoke many aro's but the ones I do return when I have the urge are:

Autumn Evening- 4 stars

Gentleman Caller- 4 stars

Bagpiper's Dream-5 stars

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Lanes BCA 5 stars :puffy:
Fire-cured Cavendish tobaccos discreetly flavored to produce an extremely mild, slow burning cool smoke.

Mclelland 600- special black
This Black Cavendish is moist and black and has a pleasant sweet burning aroma. It burns slowly, is extremely soft and holds its flavor all the way down the bowl.

*************************************************************************************

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Whoever's tried these, can you rate these?
*Scotty's Blend - Butternut Burley

*HPCS Adirondack Series - Trout Stream

*Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake

*Hearth & Home - Larry's Blend
McClelland Blends?

Boswell Blends?

MacBaren Blends?

Hearth & Home?

Capn Black?

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Anniversary Kake is a VA/PER but it is seriously delicious and burns cool and all the way to the heel every time. 5/5 in my book for sure. I also love Boswell's Raspberry Cream and Christmas Cookie. Another great blend is MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake. 4.5/5, only because it needs some serious drying.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Boswell's Raspberry Cream and Christmas Cookie. Another great blend is MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake. 4.5/5, only because it needs some serious drying.
Had all of those and would definitely agree with you bro, they are top notch

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well, we've talked in length and you know I'm an avid aromatic smoker. So, here's my list.
1Q is definitely my favorite aromatic right now and I'm sure you can attest to how good it is as I've sent you a sample. I'd give it 5 stars in that it packs and smokes wonderfully, isn't too moist, leaves a very pleasant room note, and the taste transfers well. Plus, a lot of Enlish/Latakia smokers will occassionally have a bowl from time to time of it.
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream is another great aromatic as I've sent you a tin close to full of the loose cut I'm sure you've formed your own opinion. It's a good smoke that burns nicely and transfers both the tobacco and casing flavors nicely. I prefer the flake form as it seems to intensify the flavors and is a bit cheaper at just under $7 a tin for 50grams. I'd probably give it close to 4 stars. It's not to die for, but a good regular smoke that I can see an aromatic lover having on a daily/weekly basis.
Mac Baren's 7 Seas line is definitely worth a sample if you're into American style aromatics. I believe I sent you a bit of the Regular Blend, my favorite, and a bit of the Royal Blend if memmory serves me correct. They all come a bit moist either in tin or bulk form, but after a bit of drying they smoke wonderfully. The casings transfer nicely and the leaf burns nice and evenly. They all leave a rather pleasant room note. The most popular I'd say are probably the Royal and Black blends. I'd give this whole line 4 stars, probably would give the Regular blend a five as it's my regular go-to smoke next to 1Q. An added bonus is, these blends are all available in bulk for cheap samples or affordable storage at under $25/lb.
If you're an avid coffee drinker or a fan of Baileys Irish Cream then CAO's blend Eileen's Dream is one worth trying. It has a casing of white chocolate truffles and Irish cream which pairs well with a cold glass of Baileys on a warm summer night. The casing comes through a bit more subtle than the other blends, but still is noticeable and pleasant. The leaf burns quite nicely and the room note is definitely Mrs. approved. I'd probably give it about 3.5 stars, as I'd prefer the casing to come through a bit more.
Another line to give a try would be Peterson's Limited Edition blends, the Summertime, Special Reserve, and Holiday blends. They come in beautifully decorated tins and are 100 grams of tobacco. I've enjoyed every one I've had save for this year's Summertime blend. Lime as a forward casing was not a better idea on Kohlhase and Kapp's part. They should have left the lime in the coconut lol. Other than the 2012 Summertime, these blends are all worth a go for an aromatic lover. Usually smokingpipes.com will have them around $16/tin when they first come out, shameless sponsor plug I know lol you're welcome SP.com and Kevin. The casings all transfer nicely into the smoke and the combination of leaves chosen for these blends is consistantly good. They all light and burn nicely and evenly, though sometimes could use a bit of drying time. Overall I'd give this line 4 stars, as this year's Summertime and the fact that they're limited and can disappear rather quickly detract from a 5 star rating.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
I like Scotty's Butternut Burley - it has a light taste of butter pecan to me, and hubby has no objections to the room note, says it's pleasant enough. (He says some of the codger blends smell like cigarettes.)
Room note winner is Boswell's Piper's Pleasure ... hubby came home from work one afternoon while I had that in my pipe and began hunting around for the cooling racks to find the freshly-baked cake he swore he smelled! I have flavor-dedicated pipes, and PP changes depending on if I am smoking it in the chocolate egg, the caramel apple, the vanilla dublin, or the coffee egg. Lots of fun.
1Q is the reigning champ though ... my dad smoked it when I was a kid, and hubby gave its room note a solid and enthusiastic thumbs-up, plus it really is a mild and pleasant smoke.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
*Scotty's Blend - Butternut Burley

*HPCS Adirondack Series - Trout Stream

*Hearth & Home - Anniversary Kake

*Hearth & Home - Larry's Blend
Is that the sampler from P&C? Nothing wrong with ANY of those! However, as noted, AnniKake is delicious, but not an aromatic, and Larry's Blend is a latakia heavy blend. I liked those two so much I went back and purchased 8oz tins of both.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cortez, I almost gagged when I tried Firedance Flake. I was so looking forward to trying it and when I did, I was amazed how it had a puke taste to it. lol It is amazing how different everyone's tastes are.
JS, this is why you will need to do what most of us have done, experiment. Just because I like something doesn't mean you will. Yes we can all make recommendations, but in the end, only you will know what floats your boat. I believe that finding your favorites is one of the fun parts of this journey. Sure you will run into some that are duds, but eventually you will get there. I still to this day look for new blends to add to my favorites, and have even found a few recently. I would suggest trying a tin of Erinmore Flake, that is a very sweet blend that has a juicy fruit thing going.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
JS, this is why you will need to do what most of us have done, experiment.
+1.
I think asking opinions is a good place to start - especially if a large majority all say they like a particular blend, odds are you will too. But to discover the aro that really does it for you, it will likely not be everyone else's favorite.
All of that said, you just gotta try Wilke Rumcake!! ;)

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
my must try for aros;
Boswell Chocolate cream

MacB Vanilla cream

C&D autumn evening

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Very good opinions. Got this thread bookmarked.
I am smoking Brigadier Black Alamo at the moment, very tasty right out of the can and even better when dried. I'm smoking it for a review, so I haven't got into the Waterloo yet. The one bowl I had was very satisfying.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Even though aromatics are not generally in the rotation too much these days for me :
Mc Baren's 7 Seas Gold and Regular are pretty good. I didn't like Black as it tasted too much like a flavoured cigarette.
Peterson's aro line is pretty good. Watch out for Vitamin N on a couple of them.
I smoked 1Q when I first picked up the pipe. I don't stock it as it is available at the grocery store here in Anchorage if the mood strikes.
Boswell makes good aromatics, I second Choco Cream.
My go-to aromatic is SG Grousemoor though. I still need to do a write-up on this blend .... :puffy:

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
C&D Autumn Evening is a 5 star blend in my books. I tastes just like maple syrup.
CAO Eileen's Dream is another 5 star blend. I don't drink Bailey's with it because that stuff is ggggrrroossss. It definitely has a truffle taste to it. It reminds me of those Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies.
Blue Note, either Altadis or Dan's (I prefer Altadis), is a 6 star for me. It is by far the coolest most flavorful aro smoke. It's like vanilla birthday cake meets dunkaroo's or something.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
JS, this is why you will need to do what most of us have done, experiment. Just because I like something doesn't mean you will. Yes we can all make recommendations, but in the end, only you will know what floats your boat. I believe that finding your favorites is one of the fun parts of this journey. Sure you will run into some that are duds, but eventually you will get there. I still to this day look for new blends to add to my favorites, and have even found a few recently. I would suggest trying a tin of Erinmore Flake, that is a very sweet blend that has a juicy fruit thing going.
I have yet to place an online order seeing as I am pretty new to this, so All I am doing as numbersix said was just getting opinions from others. I will disect all the information I find here, cross reference against what I have tried already, and come up with a list of aeromatics to order online on friday when I get paid...

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Since you are asking for opinions, here is mine: This is Boswell's tobacco blends page. Bookmark it. ;) You will need to pick up a phone and call them during (Eastern time zone) business hours as they do it "old school", but don't be shy because they are extremely nice folks on the phone! The three I intend to reorder are Chocolate Cream, No-Bite Delight, and Piper's Pleasure. All three rock the house in both taste and room note. I've heard very good things about their non-aromatics as well.
On the H&H side, hubby tried Eggnog last night and was impressed ... he doesn't smoke aromatics. Of course, we had just opened the first half-gallon of pumpkin eggnog to go with it, so that may have had an influence. But, eggnog season has just started up!

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Multiple Recommends
Lane's 1Q

MacBarens Vanilla Cream

MacBarens 7 Seas Reg and Royal

CAO's Eileen's Dream

C&D Autumn Evening

Peterson Limited Edition Blends, not Summertime2012

Boswells Chocolate Creme

Boswell's Piper's Pleasure