PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernstar

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Hello everyone! I am a new pipe smoker, in fact, I had my first smoke on Tuesday from a decent 20 dollar briar pipe, and I smoked Orlik Golden Sliced out of it, and I loved it. I have had 1 bowl every day since then. I am looking for two recommendations though. I would like a decent aeromatic tobacco to smoke when I am around other people, and a nice latakia to change it up a bit. I do plan on buying another pipe for the latakia, as I have heard that the latakia flavours cause ghosting. I am also hoping that the aeromatic will smoke well in the current pipe I have been using for OGS, I would assume so, since OGS is not very heavy as far as flavour goes. For flavours, I do like vanilla, whisky, and other flavours of that sort. I would prefer something that smokes cool, as I have heard that about 99.99999% of aeromatic tobaccos smoke quite warm, unless you smoke them verryy slow. Anyway, thank you!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum northerstar!
I don't smoke Aromatics but can tell you that Lane's 1Q and Molto Dolce are very popular vanilla blends.
Latakia blends are plentiful and there are many good ones:
H&H: Magnum O!, Blackhouse, WhiteKnight, Beverwyck, Ambassador's Blend, Cerberus

GLP: Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Gaslight

C&D: Mississippi Mud, Star of the East, Pirate Kake
There are many, many others but I hope that can get you started!
Edit: Forgot to include a new favorite ... F&K Sterling Balkan

northernstar

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Thank you for the warm welcomes and the suggestions, I will be sure to check some of those out and add them to my next order :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of pipe smoking.
The suggestions you've gotten will probably hold you for a while. I will give you my standard advice, though: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford,in the best pipes you can afford. You bought a cheap briar to try out pipe smoking; now buy a decent one. Buy from a reputable dealer.

Enjoy the journey. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Latakia:
Pease Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Odyssey

Mac Baren Latakia Flake

Dunhill Nightcap

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Judd's advice is spot on. You'll be amazed at the difference a better pipe will make for your smoking enjoyment.

The English recommendations are also very good. I also like what some refer to as cross-over blends. Latakia with some aromatic nuances. USS Mason from C&D is always in my rotation. For a rich aromatic I like Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. It is a very rich blend of several cuts of Virginia's with a cognac topping. Very pleasant room note and stays lit for the entire smoke.

Enjoy your journey and visit often.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to the real world! I can only echo what has been said so far, while adding a few personal preferences. Cobguy mentioned White Knight, a contemporary reincarnation of an iconic blend that disappeared some 30 years ago--Balkan Sobranie--a blend I smoked for some 20 years. Back then, the proliferation of tobacco blends had not yet started, so when you told people you smoked Balkan Sobranie, they nodded sagely And thought you were a very discriminating pipe smoker. I am also partial to the Frog Morton Original, and recommend branching out from there, simply because it's very latakia forward. I also like HGL, the blend smoked by Herman G Lane., one of the archangels in the hagiography of pipe smoking. It's a mild, quasi-aromatic, with a very nice touch of Latakia. Molto Dolce is right up there at the top of aromatics with a heavenly fragrance that comes through in the smoke, somewhat unusual for aromatics. Another excellent and very popular aromatic is RLP -6, mild and pleasant.

And though it's been said, I am going to echo Jud's comment about investing your money in a quality pipe. You really will get what you pay for. There are any number of artisans handcrafting pipes that are well engineered from the finest briar available, and the difference is apparent. In the meantime, if your means do not permit you to spend for one of these pipes, there are excellent production pipes available made by Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson. While these are factory pipes, they are well-made with an established reputation and you won't go wrong with them. And don't overlook the corncob pipe. While inexpensive, it is not a cheap pipe -- - it offers a fine smoke, and if you don't have the funds to buy a lot of briars, get a few corncobs, so that you will be able to develop a rotation. In fact, I recommend corncobs even if you have the money to spring for quality briars, simply because they taste good. I have over 100 briars, including quite a few top-of-the-line models, and hardly a day goes by when I don't smoke one of my cobs.

northernstar

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Haha, thank you everyone for the responses. I will look for a better pipe, and I have added some Frog Morton Cellar and some Molto Dolce to my cart :)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Aro: Erik Stokkebye 1931 flake. Not your typical cloying, goopy, candy-coated aro. Smells great to everyone around, burns slow and cool, full-bodied.
Lat: Dunhill Nightcap. After it, no other lat blend will satisfy.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
If you liked OGS and want to try an aromatic, try an aromatic flake like PS Luxury Twist Flake. Also, since your new and want to try latakia, try Frog Morton, or Frog Morton Cellar.

Mar 1, 2014
I was reasonably impressed with Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme. It tasted like a spice cake to me.
Don't forget to pick up a tin of Escudo sometime http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-love-escudo

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not all that crazy about recommending tobaccos as taste is very subjective. Everyone has their personal opinion and the recommendations will simply overwhelm you. However, when it comes to purchasing a pipe(s) I'd much rather see you purchasing a few MM cobs as opposed to cheap $20 briars. That's not to say that the lower priced briars cannot smoke just as well as the higher priced ones, and often sometimes better, but a cob at this point in time will give a much better smoke. In the interim, save up some money and then purchase a better quality mid-priced briar. Bottom line... a poor cheap smoking pipe could possibly turn you off to something that could, and should be a very enjoyable experience. :wink:
P.S. Welcome to the site!

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
For an aro I have throw in Tewksbury and Co's "Hobbit's Weed". Wow that stuff is amazing. I've no joke had 3 different non smoking friends buy their first pipes just to get a taste of that blend after I smoked it around them, it smells that good.
You also can't go wrong with Lane's 1Q.
Latakia: Blackhouse, nightcap, and frog Morton are my favs.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Northernstar:
Welcome aboard, Sir! For an aromatic I would recommend Milan Tobacconists' Our London Dock, a copy of the late Kentucky Club product, London Dock. Regarding a Latakia blend I would recomment Presbyterian Mixture. The latter may fuel an argument, as there are those who believe that it contains none. I think that it contains just a wee bit, enough to make it a pleasing English-type smoke to my palate.
Whatever you choose, smoke slowly and enjoy!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I invite you to check out the Cornell and Diehl Blend that I created with the help of the late Craig Tarler (CEO of C&D). It is a light English blend containing 1/16th Latakia and has a wonderful aroma that does not mask the underlying tobacco blend of Red Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakaia, Perique, Turkish and Carolina Brights. It is a light-English Aromatic Blend. The flavors applied consist of Vanilla, Orange, Caramel, Black Walnut, Maple and Grape. I do not receive any remuneration whatsoever from the sale of my blend. That was my choice! I was honored that C&D wanted to promote my blend as one of their "premium tinned blends". It was my way of giving back. As I understand, it has had International success. You can buy my blend from smokingpipes.com in "bulk" or "tinned". Women love the aroma. Pipe smokers have rated it substantially and predominantly their favorite (or at least three of four stars). I suggest that you read "all" the reviews of my Blend both positive and negative, before you decide to try it. PM me if you have any personal questions you want answered. Good luck in your search! Go here for the reviews: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3117/cornell-diehl-captain-bobs-blend

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.