PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
With all the cellar pictures lately, got me thinking. I have heard that cellaring aromatics doesn' make them better and in some cases make them taste worse. Now I have never really experienced this awful taste myself (And YES! I do LOVE aromatics). But the thought hit me is it really a wsste of time and money to cellar them?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am of somewhat similar opinions to rothnh. If you truly mean cellaring though (jarring and not opening over and over or leaving factory sealed tin sealed), I think if it is premium Aeros like from MB or Peterson I think it will be great. If you are talking OTCs like Captain Black, the chemical additives will prevent any aging from occurring. Combine that with the fact that it will probably still be in supply years from now, not sure if it would be worth the space in the cellar.
I primarily smoke aromatics btw. My cellar is stocked with tins from SG, Peterson and MB.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have to agree here... Definitely worthwhile as long as they are sealed especially with some of those pesky blends that disappear for what seems like a year and then immediately sell out. The only way to enjoy them is to stock up. I usually have a tub of CBW or some OTC depending on what's on sale for general smoking purposes and they don't seem to worse for wear, and I've been thinking about adding some Half and Half if I can ever get through one of them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
From what I've heard, aros don't benefit from aging, but they may be stored for years in mason jars with no ill effect. Here's a couple of posts that I've seen on the forum in regards to aromatics:
@Pipeinhand:
Over the last 10 years I have been heavy into Aro's. Some of my first blends from 15 years ago are still in good shape. I smoked a blend I stored 17 years ago last week, and it smoked and tasted just like it did 3 years ago, which I remember was what it tasted like 7 years ago.
Jud is correct, they do not age, (get better) but, stored correctly they should not get worse. Air is the enemy, keep that out and the casing will last. Evaporation needs to go somewhere and giving it no where to go keeps it in the baccy stored.
I Only use mason jars and make sure the lid is new, sealed tight and do not open and close it often. In fact my blending stock is all stored in mason jars, and it never seems to suffer.
@CaptainBob:
I have mixed five-pounds and stored it in quart mason jars simply sealed with a twist of the cap and opened them three years later with absolutely no change in smoking pleasure at all. I could not tell the difference between freshly tinned and the stored tobacco in mason jars. Simply, gently hand press the air out of the jar as you pack it and all should be just fine!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Right! Thanks guys, I was thinking of getting several pounds of lane tobacco while it's on sale this month from pipes and cigars and putting in jars!

Status
Not open for further replies.