PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'd really appreciate your advice please folks. I enjoy a short smoke on my way to and from the office - about 20 minutes through the City morning and evening. I've found I prefer to use a smaller chamber, lightweight straight or slightly bent pipe for this journey and need some more pipes to create a rotation for these strolls, but I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions, please? Happy to pay up to $75-$100 per pipe and prefer dark stem with a silver or nickel band, if possible.
Thanks, Andy

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have that pipe that Pipe Novelist linked to: it is a nice, small pipe like you're looking for. PM me if you are interested in one; it is too small for me, personally, and would be under your budget.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I have a Peterson Cara shape 15. It is maybe size 3 but built slimly with straight walls and a straightforward bowl so it is a small pipe, eminently pocketable. TBH I think I am slightly prejudiced against it due to my preference for a larger pipe with thicker walls. This particular piece of briar prefers Lats.

One thing I would suggest is you consider changing the blends you smoke on these walks if you like more robust flakes etc. I find a ribbon-cut tobacco smokes far quicker than a Flake. If you do prefer the taste of flakes, I suggest you rub them well but leave them very slightly moist- using the pinch test I would suggest you pack the bowl when there is still a slight stickiness to the tobacco, but no clumping. This seems to allow the more darker flavours to remain.
ec9a7b169ff467b643208d9acf7d977c1b4a74dcaecc5fb020a3d44b138e2e2178fb748111426edc85d7edf82e60df91e3b4e6fd56bcdaeff912ab005e7baf60e244fc66975421bd76db896d20c79b83ac490d65cc772c3a2815504

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A Falcon.

Lightweight, usually comes with a small bowl though larger ones are available. Inexpensive, easy maintenence, reliable cool smoke. They come in straights, slight curve, or bent, chrome, brown, or black.

Extra bowls are readily available. These are a great "travel" pipe.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks guys - much appreciated!
Novelist - The Peterson Irish Made looks and sounds ideal, so
Greg - there's a PM on it's way to you.
Piper - You're exactly right re the tobacco; I smoke MM 965 or GLP Westminster on my walks for exactly the reason you say. Easy to pack in a smaller bowl and almost never need a relight, with a lovely taste. My only regret is that the pipe-smoke isn't the aromatic experience that most people in their heads associate with a pipe.
Andy

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
May not be what you're looking for, but Missouri Meerschaum makes a small size or two, and they'd weigh next to nothing...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Andy, if you are looking for a light weight, small, straight pipe, I would highly recommend Sebastian Beo. The line of pipe's he makes for smokingpipes.com are top notch little smokers. I have two of his apple shape and the chamber dimensions are around .7" wide X 1.0" deep, and the weights are 1oz or less. And the engineering on these pipes are spot on! Finally price is under $100, which is a steal for the quality.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Ditto what Neil mentioned. Some of those bulldogs they make with the beveled sides are slick.
I'd also toss out the metal Tsuge variations. I keep thinking about picking up a Tankard, but I always talk myself out of it.

Savinelli's second line, Piumas, are fantastic for strolls and short commutes. They may be a bit hard to find, because I buy every one that I come across, LOL. I have a whole rack of them, lightweight, .6x1" bowls, just perfect for lighting up and forgetting about. I have a Stanwell featherweight that has these same characteristics.
But, maybe the Pete will work out for you.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Great minds think alike Andy. I would suggest a mature Abingdon as an alternative to 965, and if you want a bigger Lat hit, blend it with some Frog Morton.

But how could I forget about a Falcon! They are made for the outdoors.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'd go with a Stanwell 2009 POTY or look up Eric Paulson for one of his "Devil Ance" if you like a light, short, straight pipe. The Savanelli Sport pipes are great smokers as well.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Mario Grandi always seems to have a few nosewarmers up for sale. I've been eying one for months now.

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
I much prefer a bent when out walking. There is less pressure on the old teeth that way. I like the way it hangs in my beard resting on my chin. I had a Savinelli 603 years ago, an Oom Paul shape, which was perfect. A tall bowl, an almost 180 degree angle before it joined the wide mouthpiece. Great!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Corn cob mini is damn near indestructible about 4 dollars and a great little smoker, I would recommend it to anyone.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I love my Big Ben Charme Half bent apple. Check it out, fantastic for a small pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.