PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
Hey all, as I've stated in my first post I'm new to the hobby. Am loving but am finding that sometimes I'm wishing for shorter smokes. I was hoping for some recommendations for pipes with smaller bowls to allow for quicker smokes. The MM cob i have is I think the legend model or the washington. I also have a briar from tinderbox but not sure what model. So any advice on good smaller pipes would be great. I've looked online at the MM "dwarf" cobbit. I really like the look of it and the "shire" cobbit but haven't been able to find any reviews for size. So any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
The mini hardwood cobs from MM are right up your alley - 5-10 minute smokes

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think your decision should be based on what shape/style "grabs" you aesthetically.

Anything less than a .75" diameter bowl will work for a short smoke if you don't fill it to the top

for want of time or appetite.
Also, the Savinelli Tortuga model has an ash cap, so you can cap the bowl and save the remaining tobacco for later.

002-033-18476.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
There's a few pipes that have smaller bowls that would fit the bill. I just put less baccy in my pipe when I want a shorter smoke. But please don't let me talk you out of a new pipe if that's what you really want! :D

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'd suggest starting with the smaller cobs. The Eaton, Morgan, and Mizzou's are all nice, small, and cheap. While I really like Old Dominion cobs, the Chesapeake is great but it's diameter is so small your pinky or pipe tamper won't fit and you'd have to improvise. (I use a screw). But all of them are good for 10 minute smokes. I don't have any experience with the Cobbit's themselves but you're mostly paying for the vulcanite stem. I can't imagine the bowl itself would vary from the other MM products which are all top-notch.
Personally, I find the mini's too small to handle but they'd be quick smokes.
After that, if you look a little, there are a number of smaller briars out there too. Group 1 pipes are a personal favorite though FishingBanjo's collection of small pipes puts mine to shame.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
To throw out se obvious things- also consider what you smoke. I'm a flake cut, but when I need a short smoke I go with some sort of mixture, shag, fully rubbed, etc. Cuts time way down.
A regular cob, filled half way, with a fine cut will get you there.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My MM Eaton gets a lot of use. I prefer small bowls but will pack half a bowl in a medium size bowl. You might find small Bulldogs to your liking? Or search for a shag pipe on ebay.
I have used this seller in the past. He has a nice shag pipe for $14.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shag-DENICOTEA-Rustic-Club-1500-Tobacco-Pipe-/141628439300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9b67b04

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I too often prefer a smaller bowl. The cobit dwarf is, in my opinion, great for that. They are a little longer than most pipes, but quite comfortable. I just find that a longer pipe is safer to smoke indoors than out.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
To throw out se obvious things- also consider what you smoke. I'm a flake cut, but when I need a short smoke I go with some sort of mixture, shag, fully rubbed, etc. Cuts time way down.
guitrsnglocks, tarak makes a great point about your tobacco selection. A Missouri Meerschaum Eaton loaded with Five Brothers will give me a 10-minute smoke. The same pipe filled with one folded and stuffed flake of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky will give me a smoke longer than 30 minutes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I bought a Tsuge blowfish which is a very small pipe and it sits on the shelf as it is just to small to work for me. I have trouble loading, tamping it, and keeping it light but that is just my issue. I know of a few pipers that enjoy a very small bowl but I find it far easier to load one of my smaller cuttys half way.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm a fan of small bowls- I've made a couple with a 5/8" tapered tobacco chamber about 1" deep. Really tends to concentrate the flavor on flakes....

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I believe that churchwardens tend to have smaller size bowls. Not very portable though..

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
There are lots of pipes with smaller bowls. I like princes or rhodesians/bulldogs, which tend not to have deep bowls. Another good option for a much quicker smoke is the Morgan Pipes briar cigar. Fits nicely in a pocket too.
Or, as suggested already, just half fill your pipe.
image.jpg1_zpsuqpskuwx.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Never quite got what these were about. I understand the function, it just seemed odd to make them look like a dead cigar. For that matte,r if they are going to look like a cigar, why not make the bit look like a cigar holder? Just my thoughts :)

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I've got a couple of the briar pipes. I also had mixed feelings beforehand about it being a gimmick - a pipe dressed up as a cigar - but I find they smoke well and are quite convenient. The circular stem is so that you can rotate the pipe occasionally as you smoke it. Since the tobacco is burning inside and the walls are relatively thin there is more of a risk that you could overheat and burn-out the briar above the tobacco, so you're supposed to turn it around like a real cigar as you smoke it. It works quite well and provides a nice, short smoke in an easily portable format. The cap on the end that looks like ash is quite useful too. You can pre-load the tobacco or leave the bowl half-finished and just pop the cap on to carry it around without any tobacco or ash falling out.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The MM Huck Finn model also has a smaller bowl (same size as the Missou or Pony Express). I can stretch one of those out to half an hour or so, but if the tobacco's really dry, 10 minutes is also entirely reasonable.
I have to concur with blueeyedogre on the Tsuge blowfish - it looks marvelous, but the bowl is tiny. I've only smoked it twice so far, so it's not even properly broken in yet, as I tend to like to take my time and spend at least an hour with a pipe when I've got the chance. I may start using the Tsuge as an aperitif pipe, then switch to a larger bowl for the rest of the afternoon... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.