PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
Hello All. I am a new member to the forum and I am putting together an order from P&C. Since I live in Canada I can only order 200 GM at a time, which is what my budget allows anyways. 
I have been smoking pipes for a year and my preference is Latakia blends with a strong flavour. I have tried SG squadron leader, Presbyterian Mixture, Davidoff English blend, SG Balkan flake, SG skiff mixture etc. 
So far my tastes lean towards the Presbyterian mixture and SG skiff.  I am considering the following:
Dunhill Nightcap (x2 ?)

Dunhill 965

Frog Morton on the bayou 

Frog Morton
I have read tobaccoreviews.com but they are not that critical. 
I was hoping I could get some advice from my fellow members
Thanks

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
emailgod-arrow.gif
Check My Sig!
emailgod-arrow.gif

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
I will get some 965. I guess my post was more of could you pick 200 GM that were a better mix? Or a blend that is missed?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I haven't had them but aren't the Frog Morton blends fairly mild? That leads me to believe you'd enjoy a stronger latakia flavour than they offer. Especially since you can't walk to a B&M to get them, that makes it a bigger decision...
I haven't had it yet but GLP Odyssey is next on my wishlist of strong tasting latakia blends. I believe it is a Balkan with plenty supporting orientals. (Westminster is good but more of a medium English to my taste; too subtle)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hm.

I know Presbyterian has lots of Orientals,but not really much latakia. IIRC, Skiff is the same way.
Based on that,I'm not sure I'd recommend Nightcap - however, I also think everyone that considers themselves a lover of latakia blends should try that at least once,so go for it.
Have you tried Peterson's Old Dublin? I think that blows 965 out of the water.
And I don't care for the Frogs, but a lot of guys do.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
If you liked the SG blends, you can also consider SG Commonwealth Mixture. It's 50% Latakia.
and like Jud said...lots of love for Old Dublin.

Jul 12, 2011
H&H Black house

H&H Mag Opus

H&H Cerberus

GL Pease Sextant

GL Pease Odyssey

C&D's Crooked Lane

C&D's Star of the East flake

Dunhill's EMP & Nightcap

NYPC's Jack's Shanty & Hell's Kitchen

SPC's Plum pudding and Seattle Evening

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have tried Old Dublin and enjoyed it thoroughly. I think since I am only a year into this hobby I find it challenging to know the composition of some of the blends. I did not realize that SG skiff was light on the Latakia but high on the orientals.
I think I will try nightcap to give it a go, but based on the advice from Jud just buy one tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.