PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I have a meerschaum my parents brought back to me from Turkey about 12 years ago. I've not smoked it much, but I want to smoke it more. How do I get that deep, rich coloring to build? Does it need a coating of beeswax first, or later on? I've also heard you're not supposed to touch it with your hands, but rather use cotton gloves. Is this true?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just by smoking it should do the trick. Of course it will be hard for you to actually notice the colour change as it takes so long so a good idea would be to take photographs of the pipe every six months or so depending of course on how much you use it. Then by simple comparison you should see the changes in tone.
Regards,
Jay.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It's been said that by wearing gloves, you keep the oils from your hand from creating patchy spots in the browning of the pipe. I haven't seen any evidence of this.
My meers, I just smoke them like any other pipe, for the most part. Been awhile since I'd pulled one down, so might have to.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I second Jay's remarks.

You may find Fred Bass's PM.com article (and internal links) interesting: Slave To The White Goddess.
ps. If you're still a young man, and you smoke it a couple of times a day (they can tolerate a lot of use), then you may see the development of a deep patina before you die (if you live to old age!). Just keep the carbon cake to an absolute minimum (or none).

Status
Not open for further replies.