PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Hey everyone,
I've had a pipe for almost a year now, but have started smoking it more often in the last couple months, so I have also expanded my collection of tobacco beyond the one aromatic I got with it. I have read that you don't really want to have a mutt pipe, but try to have certain pipes for at the very least aromatic and non aromatic. So that is why I am looking at getting a second pipe.
The pipe I currently have is a straight pipe that I believe was a basket pipe from my local B&M. The only markings on it say Golden Bull and Italy. I've enjoyed it, but it is also the only pipe I have smoked, so I could have only been taking satisfaction from crummy smokes.
So currently I am looking at lower priced brand names pipes like Savinelli's venezia or florence, capris,and jobeys, but I have also been thinking about just getting another basket pipe.
Lastly, I plan on using this pipe for my non aromatics which consist of presbyterian, Squadron leader, and orlick golden sliced. I would also prefer to get a bent this time

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Welcome to the forum, nikko!

You've certainly opened the floodgates for advice on this one. IMHO you can't go wrong with an entry-level Savinelli, Peterson, or even Nording. Don't be afraid of a good-looking estate (meaning used) pipe on eBay or at your local junk shop, some deals can be had. You should realize, however, that 2 pipes makes you a collector, and sooner than you think the number of pipes will grow beyond sane comprehension--and that's part of the fun.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Cobs are cheap and a Dr Grabow as well...if stepping up i d recommend a lower end Stanwell

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I am thinking on that, and from what I have read, I hear some people swear by them and others that swear at them. Next time I go to my local B&M I will probably get one just to try, but I would also like to get a second briar.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Nikko!
Savinelli would be a good choice... Many members here love them.

I would also recommend Johs as a good value for the money.

But, I have a Jobey and I think it's my least favorite pipe... a real stinker.
The best criteria I can suggest is the following:
If you like the way it looks and feels, that's what you should buy.

Aesthetics is probably the number one factor where satisfaction with your purchase is concerned.
The engineering, grain, straight or bent... all that will come when PAD takes hold.

And, it will. :D

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Best bang for you buck would be a couple of cobs. Dirt cheap allowing for further exploration at little investment while giving a good smoke.

From there I fully agree with the others with respect to either Savinelli or Peterson. For inexpensive and solid smokers my Savs have delivered very well.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
thank you everyone for the advice, definitely going to musing over all the recommendations. I'm also very aware of the PAD risk, and the TAD and CAD is currently in it's early stages, but there are worse hobbies to be had. Thanks again and when I decide on my new pipe I'll be sure to let you guys know what it is!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I've got a Capri squashed-tomato that smokes very well, or, to be more honest, absolutely amazing for its price (I think I paid $30 after tax, pretty damned good in Canada, where Medico's start in the mid-30's).

The aforementioned Dr. Grabow is also a good entry level pipe; I personally like the Omega system-pipe (Pete knock-off); of course, I'm a sucker for military bits and spigots.

In the $50-$100 price-range, your options really open up. In addition to those already mentioned (Sav., Stanwell), I wouldn't discount Invicta Briar, Brebbia, or Brigham. Of course, if your looking at spending that kind of money, I would really suggest you speak with Uncle Arthur; his skills are second to none, and his prices are more than reasonable.
Of course, there is also a whole world of estate pipes out there - I find something that tickles my fancy on Ebay, decide what my maximum price would be, and off I go. Two of my best smokers (a GBD Prodigy Full-bent billiard and an Iwan Ries straight-bulldog, made in France) came off the 'bay, both for less than $20US with shipping.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I won't discourage anyone from getting one of mine but, an entry level Peterson is what I recommend.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
an entry level Peterson is what I recommend.
a bent Peterson would be an ideal pipe and you can buy a new Kinsale Rustic #XL20 for $ 88.75 at CupoJoes.com
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=petkinxl20r

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I would suggest visiting a pipe shop and take your time looking for a pipe that suits you. It will be a life long companion and something you will enjoy grabbing to smoke. Also if you can, spring for a good pipe. I wont endorse a brand but there are some good ones mentioned above. Hope you enjoy.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard Nikko! All the suggestions made here so far are very good. I think you can't go wrong with a couple of cobs, or a Savinelli if you want another briar pipe, I know I love mine, and it is a sweet smoker.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
The Grabow Savoy comes in straight, as well, but is a smaller bowled pipe. Not really a great choice for a second pipe. A nice utility pipe for certain blends, or a quick smoke, however.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
There are a lot of good cheap pipes out there. Take your time and look at all the options you have before you decide. If you are in a hurry to get another pipe get a corncob or Dr. Grabow and wait until you decide on one you really like. If you have the money I would shoot for $50-$100 dollar range because this is the range you will start to get really good pipes. That's not to say you can find a really good pipe under that, but you will have to really look for it. If you have shop close buy this would be the best place to go because you can get a good look at the pipe as well as talk to someone who knows what to look for.

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
I bought my first pipe about 6 weeks ago, a ordered a second pipe about 2 weeks later. My second pipe is a Savinelli and Im liking it better than the first. My two cents...

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
find something you like that is priced in a range you are comfortable with, buy that pipe, and smoke it... enjoy.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Also a newbie to pipes. I stayed away from cobs thinking they were for hillbilly's.

I got so many people telling me to get a cob I finally checked them out, Missouri Meerschaum. Once on their sight I was reminded of many famous people that smoked cobs. I also found they cost about $5-$7 each. So ordered a couple including one that required a filter (I wanted to try a filtered pipe as comparison to non filtered). Bottom line I was blown away by how well they smoked!

I am still a briar man (I have 4 with a 5th on order from Uncle Arthur) but I think you are missing out and any pipe collection is lacking if you do not have a couple cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.