PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Mates, I've been gravitating toward my smaller pipes I can clench of late. I Would like to buy a couple more in that vein. Please let me know your thoughts on some pipes that you think I would like.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat 5th Avenue fitted with a Walker Briar Works Vulcanite "Nose Warmer" stem. Full size pipe, easy to clench and easy on the wallet.

20140310_130423.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yes sir. The heavier the bowl the easier it is, generally. I use little to no bite, the pipes rest comfortably when driving, walking or sitting. When I'm working I do bite a bit or the pipe is sitting on a camera bag or something. It's hard to aim and shoot a camera with a pipe jutting out of one's mouth.
Plus, I like to think I look very extinguished with a bent.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Dr Plum 9mm Dinkies, E A Carey 10 minute bowls, Falcons (tough mouthpieces).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
+1 for the MM Diplomat with custom stem. Wish I had one. I do have some nice short MM cobs in standard models with a smaller bowl that work great as clenchers, short smokes and Va Flakes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Also, check out the MM Mark Twain or the Patriot. Great smokers and very light.
I also have a bent Savinellie short pipe, a 622 I believe, which is wonderful.
Check em out here.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/73674/savinelli-short-pipes/

I just can't comfortably clench a MM cob. To me, they're just too heavy on the end, so I get a lever effect, like carrying a crowbar in my teeth. I prefer straight pipes to clench. The smoke doesn't waft up into my eyes, and they just look more friendly, IMO. I find it hard to smile with a bent.
I look for pipes below 1.5oz. I also pay attention to the bit. Some just feel better than others, and the wider the bit is, the easier it is for me to hold. Narrow bits tend to give me more torque for some reason. Also, I look for smaller thickness in the chamber walls. The less weight focused on the end of the pipe, reduces that crowbar effect also.
But, I have been at this a while. I guess if you don't mind a little smoke in your face, try a bent pipe as your first clencher. It's a shame that B&Ms take such an issue with people trying out pipes in the clench before they buy them. Some will let you use a little plastic sleeve to put over the bit, so that you can try it out. YMMV depending on the B&M.
Good luck.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
@wyfbane: you are right it is not the size that matter. But does bent or straight matter? :wink:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The BigBen Barbados line. Shorter pipes with good size bowls and wide stems. The egg and the bulldog are my two favorite pipes for clenching. The Rattray Butcher's Boy is also a great short stemmed clencher with a good size bowl. I have tried the smaller pipes and the bigest problem I have found is that smaller pipes tend to have narrower stems and saddles. The wider the saddle then the greater the weight distribution across your teeth. Also the greater the bend the easier the pipe rides. My Barbados Egg and Butcher's Boy both ride perfectly along my chin line and feel very comfortable for long periods. I often will smoke a whole bowl without removing my pipe when driving.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Clench-ability has become a very important characteristic of a pipe for me. Weight is a big factor- if it is over 45 grams, it tends to tire my jaw out. Tapered stems are easier for my teeth to hold onto compared to saddle bits. Pipe length is a factor too. I have one pipe that is only 42 grams, but pretty hard to clench as it is about 7 inches long. I would take a serious look at Ashtons- both of my most comfortable pipes to hold in my mouth are Ashtons- one a billiard and one a Canadian. This is likely due to the stem shape, and the fact that Ashtons tend to be light for their size.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
The second pipe I purchased was a bent pressed meerschaum. It is small and light and has all the comfort of a bent. It has been in my rotation for two years, although my preference now is for pipes with an XL bowl. It is a great work pipe and that is why she still is being used.

Oct 12, 2014
Anyone have a Stanwell featherweight?
I do. Stanwell Featherweight 243. Very confortable and a fantastic smoker. Exactly like this..
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=91136

Status
Not open for further replies.