Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

Advice on Charred Inner Bowl

(10 posts)
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I have avoided pipes that show burned spots in the bowl. I have been pretty fortunate, actually, given the amount of pipes I get off ebay.

Until now.

I got a Nording 19. It looks nice. I figure it will be a great smoker. The seller is a decent sort. I've bought from them in the past, but not recently. The pipes tend to go cheaper because the pictures aren't the greatest, but you can make stuff out if you look closely.

I missed it.

In the bowl (Which is thick, thank heavens) is the biggest char spot I have seen in my 4 short years of smoking. It is about as big as a nickel and goes a full mm in depth. I will attempt to draw. The "o's" indicate where the char is and i had to use "." to show open areas:

xxx|........|xxx
    xxx|........|xxx
    |xx|........oxx|
    .xx|........oxx
    ..xx.......oxx
    ...xxxxxxxx

There is still a lot of bowl behind the char. I looked at the pics on the auction. I see it in there. Thought it was cake so I don't really think I'm going to complain.

Will pipe mud work on the side of a pipe like that? Pipe mud and careful careful rebreak in?

Also, should I chip out the char or just mud with the char in place? There are some chunks that could be scraped out, if that works better.

Thanks guys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can you post a link to the item? It would help if we could see the photos ourselves.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

This would be a perfect subject for GeorgeD. PM him. My guess is that cigar ash mixed with silicate would do the trick. That's how George addressed a similar issue with one of my old Barlings. What I don't know about is the advisability of scraping out the charred wood rather than keeping it as insulation after being covered with the pipe mud.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sable! I will PM George.

I am not going to post a picture. As soon as you see the backdrop you would know who it was (if you peruse Ebay much, that is). I don't want any negative waves for them. Like I said, once I was holding the pipe, I saw the char in one of the pictures.

I need to repair this myself. 1) I need to learn to do it anyway... and 2) I don't think it's worth the expense to fix it.

=)

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The plan I am going to follow does indeed have me reaming and carefully scraping off the damaged wood, then filling the void with pipe mud.

I am excited. Might not get to it for a while, but I will get to it.

=)

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WB --- The charcoal & waterglass procedure is described in this thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/heat-damage-when-to-coat-and-when-to-cake-over

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much George.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a big burn, no choice but pipe mud

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, thanks for your contributions in that thread.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'll stay tuned for updates/pix!

Al

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thesillyoldbear, shind0, charf, carolinachurchwarden, anthonyrosenthal74, admiral, cohibajoe, didimauw