PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After having time to clean up a Savinelli 904 stummel, it has a hairline crack in the shank. I'm sending it to Laudisi for a $35 replacement stem, and thinking of getting a Sterling Silver band from Tim West, though I would prefer gold. Anyway, any suggestions for placing the band on the shank when I get it?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
image.jpg

The shank of a 904 is flared (trumpet shaped), meaning it can't be banded without significant material removal. A modification that will negatively affect/change the shape & flow of the pipe.
Further, the shank is too small in diameter to allow an inset "invisible" band.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Was thinking of a band from the end of the shank, just up to the capital "C". From the naked eye, the flare appears to start just past that, though my eyes aren't what they used to be. :oops:
img_20170627_103328-337x600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The catch is repair bands are not cylindrical, they are conical. Meaning the end of the shank would have to be ground into a slight taper (think wooden pencil), which in turn would significantly jack the line of the barrel portion of the saddle stem. Because that barrel part would have to be reduced in diameter at its base and then either resume its outward flare after a "flat stretch," go parallel/straight, or extend/follow the CONVERGING lines of the flat stretch. All would look like shit on a pipe shape whose reason for existence is as a celebration of subtle, graceful curves.
Something could be done with a short length of parallel-sided, thick-walled tubing that would look significantly better, but fitting such a tube so it's both level and gap-less would be a formidable task.
img_20170627_103328-337x600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Cyanoacrylate wasn't designed for porous/fibrous materials like wood. I'd use T-88 epoxy, which is.
Insert the stem to open the crack as much as "naturally" possible without making it worse (do NOT insert a wedge or otherwise try to pry the crack open). Press-wipe as much T-88 as you can into the crack, remove the stem, and gently wipe away the surface surplus with a vinegar-dampened paper towel or piece of old T-shirt. Then clamp the crack if needed with a rubber band. (If more epoxy appears, wipe it away also). Finally, check the mortise to see if any glue squeezed into it, and remove with a twist of paper towel dampened in vinegar if so.
After the epoxy is fully cured, then tune the tenon's diameter to be the lightest secure fit possible, to reduce outward pressure on the repaired crack.
Such a repair is nowhere near as bulletproof as a band, of course, so handle the pipe with TLC forevermore, also checking occasionally to see if the crack has re-appeared or lengthened. If so, stop smoking the pipe until a further course of action is decided, because it will only get worse.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Will do. Thanks for the tip George. I'm starting to think that repairing and restoring is actually more enjoyable than buying a new pipe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Duane, there are plenty of beat up Dunhills out there to hone your repair/restoration skills on.
And if you mess up, at least you haven't ruined a good pipe.
Exactly! Would hate to ruin a good cob. :mrgreen:
Actually, I figured out a way to remove oxidation from a tenon without affecting the fit in the mortise, so I am really enjoying figuring everything out.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I would send it off to Walker, Mike is a magician. On a side note I would think gold (real gold) might be too soft for a solid repair??

Status
Not open for further replies.