PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Dear fellow pipers,
After several months of bad pain in my left knee, I finally met with a good orthopedic surgeon on Friday. After a thorough exam and x-rays, he told me I have severe arthritis in both knees, not just the one, and in my left hip. I probably also have a torn meniscus in the left knee. He said I am looking at walking with a cane and injections for three to five years--then I will probably have to have a total knee replacement in both knees. Any advice from any of you for living with bad arthritis and chronic pain? I had assumed I had an injury to the knee that could be "easily" repaired, not a bad case of degenerative arthritis that couldn't be fixed without major surgery. So I am in a bit of a new world, and trying to learn as much as I can. Pain is a good motivator... :)
Luckily, the arthritis is in my lower joints, not in the all-important pipe-clenching jaw, so I can still puff away without problems. Smoking Cornell and Diehl Pennington Gap as I write this post. Best to all and thanks in advance for any advice.
Best,

Joe

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I have osteoarthritis from several knee injuries when I was airborne. I have an OA knee brace I use when running or carrying heavy loads like my IOTV (my ballistic vest).
But. I just recently decided to try the Synovisc One knee injection. One shot per knee and can repeat every six months. I'm still waiting for my first one so ill let you know how it goes.
I need a knee replacement also but at only 45 and taking my army career into consideration - it's not time yet

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have Arthritis and I am 70yrs old, I take Fish Oil Gel Caps, with Omega 3,6, one in the morning and 1 at night it has helped a lot, but you have to keep moveing even though it hurts, that is why I make a garden and a corn plot. Sometimes I feel as though I am in a plaster cast but once I get moveing it's better, not great but better, hope this helps you. The old cajun

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Number onerule, motion equals lubrication in joints. If you stop moving it will only get worse. I'm 38 and need both knees replaced after playing hockey my whole life, it seems to come and go in waves so hopefully soon this wave will pass for you.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
my wife has had both knees replaced a year apart now she walks perfectly straight no limp or pain. do it sooner then later.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
The Old Cajun wrote:

...but you have to keep moving even though it hurts...
Bradley is right again. If you don't use it you'll lose it! I have had arthritis since my early 20s and it is a constant fight to stay flexible and moving.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
My wife has been taking injections of Synvisc (the stuff made from rooster combs) for a couple of years to help with knee arthritic pain experienced when skiing, and has had very good experiences with it.
I also HIGHLY recommend you consult a GOOD REPUTABLE acupuncturist before committing to surgery. I had really bad chronic back pain and periodic paralysis for 30 years as a result of jumping from helicopters that never quite landed in SE Asia in the '60's. Tried everything - surgery, massage, chiropractic, injections, traction, none of which worked, and my acupuncturist CURED the problem in 3 treatments.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I get this advice at work alot from patients, they tell me "don't get old"

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the excellent advice. I have made notes and will definitely be following through with your suggestions. I very much appreciate getting some wisdom from the group.
Best,

Joe

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually a serious answer is Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/supplements/a/glucosamine.htm
I used to take Glucosamine when I was really into heavy weightlifting and it worked wonders on lubricating the joints. G and C is supposed to work even better.

Dec 24, 2012
I had a knee operation last year to repair a torn meniscus. I also have arthritis in my knees, so I know what you are going through. If you find something that helps, let me know. I may try Bradley's fish oil.

Dec 24, 2012
Tai Chi will help keep you loosened up and help with the pain .
Is this similar to a Mai Tai? I have tried those, and it makes the pain go away while I'm drinking them, but then it returns in spades once I sober up.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I was born with hip dysplasia. Both of my hips have hurt as long as I can remember. This has caused all of the cartilage in my left hip to wear away, I'm scheduled to have my second hip surgery (a full replacement) on the 25th of this month. My advice is not to postpone the surgery. It can be frightening, but the pain doesn't go away, it's just going to get worse if you don't fix it.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
According to the lady in the seat next to me on my last flight to Chicago, a house in Palm Springs is a proven arthritis relief.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Again, thanks to everyone for the good advice and support. This is the only pipe forum I read--and it's because of the people.
I wish I could contribute to the conversation, too, but having just been diagnosed, I don't know anything and don't have much in my bag of tricks: heating pad, ice, tylenol, Celebrex, a cane. I have a good orthpedist whom I trust and he is starting me out with Celebrex. If that doesn't work, then we move to the cortisone/gel injections, and then to knee replacements if needed. He says I will be lucky to make five years without the knee replacements in any case. He may also scope the knee as he strongly suspects the meniscus is a mess. There is no time, ever, when the knee does not hurt. It's just a matter of degree. But I'm a grown-up and can deal with it.
As I say, luckily, my jaw still works, so I am smoking F&T Cut Blended Plug in a Cavicchi as I type this. Good tobacco does help.
Best,

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.