PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pouch tobacco still has the image of a casual over-the-counter purchase. Old faithful codger blends like Carter Hall, Granger, Prince Albert, and Half-and-Half among many others do much of their sales in pouches. In addition to sampling these blends, pouches also offer a good way for beginners or anyone to sample a small quantity of a blend and a variety of blends at modest cost. Prices of a pouch hover at around half the cost of tinned tobacco for roughly the same amount. As near as I can tell, it is the only way to sample Five Brothers, the rugged old burley, and probably the only likely way for many to sample Mixture 79 or Capt. Black Grape. At least most of us wouldn't dive into a tub of those first. Also, now you can get blends by Peterson and other mostly-tin blend brands, and blends like John Bull Royal and Erin Go Braugh, a well tuned whiskey aromatic, in a pouch. So don't overlook the price and variety advantages of pouch tobacco. They're not just for codgers anymore. And us codgers can enjoy them mightily too.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Very true Mso, and The grand majority of pipe tobaccos sold in England comes in pouches today. Actually for convenience sake, I do prefer pouched tobacco over those sold in tins, finding them more practical in use and no need for jarring if you're gonna smoke that very tobacco in a week or two.

(got to try that scary Five brothers tobacco later))

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Missouri Meerschaum's four blends are only available in pouches. I'd hoped they'd be available in bulk or tub by now.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I see lots of pictures of Amphora pouches lately. Maybe a trend?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The new Amphora came about in early 2016. Surprised larger containers haven't followed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There isn't any advantage to a pouch, a tin, a canister or bulk. There's just how much you want to buy and the container that it will come in, which goes to both storage and portability. You could say that pouches travel well, but so does a 3-part rollup, and anything stores well in a jar.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
In my first incarnation as a pipe smoker, back in the early 70's I was an OTC pouch guy. One advantage which I took for granted was being able to fill my pipe from the pouch while walking down the street, tamp with the ole finger, and smoke away. How did I ever smoke without a tamper? We had tough fingers in those days. :)

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I'm with Paul on this one. If I want tobacco to store I prefer tins. However, if it is a tobacco I will smoke relatively quickly (eg St Bruno in my case) then pouches are just a little more convenient.
Mike

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never give this much thought as I have used the same oil skin tobacco pouch my late Father gave me for 30+ years and I tend to carry plugs in my pocket as they get chopped up and smoked before they go stale. Twist is always prepared by me straight from the jar and into the pouch with just the right amount to last a full day which is about 3 inches.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, as several have pointed out, that there is little difference in many respects. There is, however, a decisive difference in price between tins and pouches, if it turns out you like some pouch tobacco. Also, there is the image of pouch tobacco as being run-of-the-mill mundane, which most agree isn't always true, or even generally true. The suggestion is, don't reject pouch blends out of hand, and enjoy it that you can sample them at low cost. Of course bulk is good; I love my tins; etc.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I really want to like pouch tobacco. I love the idea of carrying a pouch of tobacco around with me. The problem is I just can't find a blend that I love enough to consistently smoke. I use to love Captain Black; however, I have lost my love for it. From time to time I buy a pouch of Carter Hall and really want to like it; however, I just can not find the love for this timeless blend. The other codger blends just do not do it for me.
Oh well, I will stick with my jars for storage of bulks, tins for storage and mylar zip lock style pouches for my day to day smoking.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Not that long ago Balkan Sorbranie was available in pouch form. I like the idea of a pouch, especially if I’m out an about and I get an inkling for a pipe. It’s usually convenient and I don’t have to spend $25 for a tin that normally costs $8.00. NYS imposes a 75% tax on pipe tobacco, so it’s a substantial difference. Most of the time, I don’t leave home without my rollup with a small amount of a few blends.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Pouch tobacco may be cheaper then tins on line, but I was in a Walgreen's Drugstore that still carries tobacco products behind the counter. They had pouches of Capt. Black for $16.99.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Ahhh! Good old Captain Monochromatic. I never could get on with that one as it always seemed so moist to me. Prince whatever his name was seemed OK in a pouch but I was shocked to see it could be used for making cigarettes as well as pipe tobacco. As an aside has anyone here ever smoked Red Cap tobacco in a pouch?

Status
Not open for further replies.