PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Admiral Byrd sent 5 months in isolation in Antarctic. He was in charge of a meteorological station.
He gave up pipe smoking for 10 years, but on this trek into solitude he decided to bring his pipe.
Is that a corn cob?
2zHwKES.jpg

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
In all seriousness though it appears to be a cob. I’d say it’s the perfect pipe for cold weather smoking!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
that certainly looks like a cob, but judging by the color of his hair and general aging of his face the picture is clearly from one of the later expeditions; do you have a date?
in any event my personal guess is that like many of us admiral byrd smoked various pipes at different times in his life. certainly for the first expedition in 1928-1930 wdc was a supplier. here's a small trade item from early 1929:

More Demuth Pipes to Byrd Expedition

The New York office of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition has received a cabled request for an additional supply

of Demuth Milano and Thorobred pipes, it was learned this week. Wm. Demuth & Co. immediately responded

with a shipment which is already on its way to the Bay of Whales, Antarctica, where the expedition has its base.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
huntertrw, interesting article...thanks!
jguss, I do not have a date for this picture.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If he was in isolation who took the picture? Lol

Self portraits have been around way, way before than the rise of the vapid selfie era. My 30+ year old SLR has a timer. He coulda been triggering the shutter with his hand that is unseen.
Funny, though, I was just reading about Scott's expeditions to the antarctic yesterday and the book had this photo of him in the station:
scott-journal_1299135i.jpg

Maybe some of the pipe historians here can tell what brand of pipe that was, hehehe. :wink:
Here's a link to a larger resolution version where the pipe can be more clearly seen:

Cpt. Scott smoking in Antarctica

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I wonder if there would've been any tobacco left if I was stuck by myself in a small shack all winter in Antarctica. I doubt it.

It could be that the tobacco is still there in good condition. Who wants to go to Antarctica and smoke a bowl of the Admiral's tobacco?

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I love old photographs like this! I notice a few interesting things in the image of Captain Scott. In the back left, there is a collection of 8 or 10 pipes in a rack attached to the wall, all of which appear to be various configurations of the noble straight billiard. A bit forward of the pipes is his shaving kit, including a bottle of smell good. After all, a gentleman must maintain his standards even while exploring the Antarctic. A+ for planning ahead. There are also some crazy looking boots by the bed. Wonder if those are over boots worn out in the snow, or, if they're field made slippers? Lastly, if you zoom in on the photo there appears to be a flame above the can on the table. I wonder if that can is actually an alcohol lamp of some sort?
Cheers,
Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.