PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2015
Is there any way to adjust the flame on a Zippo pipe lighter? I've tried trimming the wick to no avail. The flame is way too much and dangerous in the wind and even worse after filling it.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Every new Zippo that I have ever owned did this at first also. After much use it does calm down to a nice flame. After filling I will light it and let it burn for a good 20 to 30 seconds before use. All of my Zippo's are 10 to 30 years old so I don't know how the new ones burn.

May 4, 2015
I find if the wick is cut to mid-hole, the flame is just right for me. You could try a butane insert if the zippo one isn't to your liking, but still want to use a zippo. I think those are adjustable.
For fill leakage problems, a coat of Vaseline on the insert before you put it back in the case can stop fluid from making its way out. Makes the fluid last longer between fills as well.

Feb 13, 2015
Actually, it's an old lighter and, one other thing I forgot to mention is that, it can be very finicky when it come to igniting as well. In spite of what seems like good spark, I'll get one or two lights out of it and then struggle to get it to light again and, when it does light, it's like a dry forest going up in flames with flame igniting on the inside cover too. By contrast I've a regular Zippo cigarette lighter that doesn't give me any of these problems.
I'll try the Vaseline Tom. Thanks.

May 4, 2015
Ah. I'd scrub the bejesus out of it with alcohol and a toothbrush. Probaby just cruddy carbon buildup.
Or send it to zippo and they'll work on it. They're customer service is great, to go along with the lifetime warranty.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
For fill leakage problems, a coat of Vaseline on the insert before you put it back in the case can stop fluid from making its way out. Makes the fluid last longer between fills as well.
Ditto on the thanks, Tom.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Or, just napalm.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The leakage is probably saturating the wick and that's why you get such a big flame. The burn inside the cover is the tip off. The Vaseline solution will help. But don't over fill it either. Just fill until the material gets damp if you can see the fluid it's too much.

Feb 13, 2015
OK I cleaned the lighter up and doing so has improved it quite a bit. It now lights on the first strike of the wheel. I also put Vaseline on it before sticking it back in its case. However, I'm still getting a crazy explosion on the first light that now dies down to a more reasonable flame and subsequent lights are more controlled. Here's what I find strange: whenever I light the Zippo; the inside of the cap will catch fire in spite of the fact that I left the lighter standing upright. I tested this several times, and even though I didn't get a crazy explosion, the inside of the cap would light up. This suggests to me that fumes are accumulating in the cap as it sits and explode when it's ignited. It's is curious though since my cigarette style Zippo doesn't do this.

May 4, 2015
Heck with it. Send it off to Zippo with a little note describing the problem you're having. They'll fix er up for you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sounds like you are overfilling. I use my Thunderbird butane insert 95% of the time, I like the smaller, adjustable flame (which is useless in wind outdoors).

Status
Not open for further replies.