PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Gentlemen as you are aware I and a few friends have developed an interest in trying to recreate the War Horse tobacco plug. In order to get this approximately correct as possible I am looking around here for any of you gentlemen who own and of this stuff in plug form. I need one or better two samples of about 1/8-1/2 inch in thickness as a control group. By having several samples outside the one that Mr. Lowercase kindly sent me I have a control sample and one or two others so that they can be sent off to a commercial laboratory for analysis so we can break down War Horses DNA so to speak and extrapolate exactly what went into the plug. If you can help or know of someone that will either donate a small sample or sell me this item send me a PM and I will arrange to send whoever a Fedex with the sterile return kit and package so that we can get this stuff figured out!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Problem has been very generously solved by a forum member. Now we get to have analyzed in New Jersey and in Israel to find out what makes this thing tick!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You really have tobacco geneticists who can sequence the DNA, or is this more a blenders' analysis from texture

and scent? Anyway, it's a really interesting quest, and I'll be fascinated to hear what you learn, and how!

New Jersey and Israel, interesting venues.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its called a Gas Chromatography and it unlocks to a very certain degree of accuracy what something is made from and composed of.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
For a few hundred bucks I think it will be quite interesting. The Israeli lab say they even identify the tobacco leaf so lets see. They do stuff for Mossad so I guess they are used to looking at strange and unusual stuff!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@sparks as you know I am off out in a few so I was just checking my messages. Once the other sample comes in that will be sent by Fedex/DHL whatever is quickest to Israel. The other sample that Mr. Lowercase gave me was sent out last night to New Jersey. I will not see anything until Saturday obviously as I am out of circulation unless I can 'Jerry rig' my Mac to someone elses wi-fi. The results should be in be in about 2 weeks hence just to be on the safe side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, that's some high level lab work. Good luck. Tell us what you learn!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here are the results:
Road Tar 28%

Horse Dung 14%

Oven Hood Drippings 13%

Fruit Cake, Desiccated 11%

Camel Dung 10%

Page 3 Girl cut-outs 8%

Merthiolated Bandages 7%

Cyanoacrylate 3%

Black Nail Polish 3%

Sardine Oil 3%
Interestingly, they couldn't find any actual tobacco. The substrate appears to be alternating layers of The Magna Carta and poison ivy, with a 13% blend of pre-war Deutschmarks and Confederate currency..

May 31, 2012
Woodsroad

LOL!

:lol:
Friggin' brilliant!
Laff'd my ass off!
On a serious note,

this whole thing is simply incredible, Uncle Simon's enthusiasm is boundless and he's seriously determined to ride this mighty horse to the finish line, I'm jawdropt in wonderment and awe.
And

OMG!
My eyes almost popped outta my head when I saw that another sample had been submitted - the chances were slim to none...
...but then I found out it was Jason (klause) again, wow, he gifted the original bar and now he's sacrificed his remaining bar in the name of science and the resurrection effort underway. This stuff is beyond scarce and it speaks volumes about Jason's generous spirit, again I am in complete awe, to say he's a trueblue goodguy is not enough, he's gone above and beyond on this!

:clap:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
His second sample submission will soon be en route, via bonded, secret courier, to an undisclosed location for further analysis.
sexy-scientist.jpg

Galloper's Tobacco Company, Employee No. 1

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Simon - I've heard so much about you from Dan and others that physically meeting you would be anticlimactic. Now I'm not so sure. Since I'm also a dues paying member of the erstwhile NYPC, I need to venture onto the island to execute the meeting. Unless we've already met at one of the NYPC functions that I've been to.
hp

les

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am alive and with an internet connection! Actually Les I think Andre and yours truly attended only one NYPC meeting despite being paid up members. This is probably down to the fact that Andre kicks off for work at 4 AM on the radio and lives in Queens and I have spent most of the f*cking summer in the NJ office of my damned law firm. I cannot imagine I would be that exciting to meet. I am after all a dude with too many pipes and as our good friend Peck says a foul taste in tobacco but great taste in friends. I am always around so if you fancy a large or small Scotch Dan knows the secret address were I lurk!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
This is fantastic! Very funny yet could be a seminal moment in the future resurrection of discontinued blends if it works. How mad is that?! Simon and Dan are living proof of the hazy line between genius and madness.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.