PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I was amazed by the stem work of Harris's Downie and such Mr. Downie went on the list of pipes to keep on the radar. What can I say? Enablers will be enablers. When the opportunity to purchase this unsmoked estate, I couldn't believe it was the sister pipe to the one Harris recently acquired. I didn't get a steal on this one like he did, but after some bargaining, I was able to obtain it for a price that left both buyer and seller feeling satisfied.
The weight of this one is a little on the heavier side than I am used to, but due to the curvature of the stem I believe it will be just fine. I was guaranteed that this pipe is a comfortable clincher and amazing smoker or my or my money back. Ya can't beat a deal like that!
Dimensions (aprox)

Length - 5 3/4 Inches

Height - 1 3/4 Inches

Width - 1 7/8 Inches

Tobacco Chamber - 20mm, 1 1/2 Inches deep

Weight - 60 Grams
Here is the link to the sister pipe:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stephen-downie-estate-pipe-i-think-i-stole-this-one

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I saw that pipe yesterday and told Harris about it. Harris must have told you. Glad it went to a fellow forum member and to a good home. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, I hope you hate it that way I get to own it seeing as I did offer you a money back guarantee and you did get it for a good price.
I love mine and I know you are going to love yours, it is an incredible flake smoking machine. The stem work alone is worth the price of admission, as you will see shortly. I like the blast on yours a little better than mine as it seems more uniform and defined. I have to say, that pipe smokes as good as anything in my collection and smokes as well as 1000.00 pipes I have owned in the past. It just goes to show you do not have to spend a fortune to get some of the best smoking pipes on the market. I know for myself I will be hunting for more Downie's, congrats buddy.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Great looking pipe, Chris.
I imagine most people think of Stephen Downie as that weird Canadian guy who makes pipes shaped like orc skulls or clockwork spiders. And yeah, he does those because he's a weird Canadian guy. But the truth of the matter is that he's a truly skilled carver.
I have one of Stephen's more conservative creations and think it's first rate.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That's a beauty bigvan! I am much on the conservative end of pipe designs but as the collection grows, who knows?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Chris
Congrats on your pipe. It looks just amazing, and I'm not a fan of straights, even 'semi-straights'.
Being a selfish kind of guy, I'm hoping that this recent attention will not bring his prices up!
I neeeeeeeed one of his creations!!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
This was an estate find Allan. I read a post from 2006 on another forum last night where he did raise his prices after the 2006 Chicago show.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Chris
Well, that's the way it goes. I've just emailed him regarding a commission on a full bent, if he'll do it.
I said that I'm not one for 'cosmetics', meaning I'll take a blast pipe number 4 or 5, (his rating) if necessary over purity of the briar.
I just a whore for a great stem and a great smoke.
A year ago I wouldn't have considered a blasted or other type over a smooth polish. Now I just don't care about those things as much as I used to. :)

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Very nice, congrats! The bowl size and the weight put it in the same league with the Savinelli Authors ( which are a bear to clench for me ) , but this pipe is a whole half inch longer, and with better ergonomics .....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My pipe from the same POY weighed in at 58 grams and I found it to be fine for clenching because of the little bend and the comfort of the stem.
Bigvan, that is a great looking pipe, do you feel Stephens stems are as good as any of your top artisan pipes?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Bigvan, that is a great looking pipe, do you feel Stephens stems are as good as any of your top artisan pipes?"
Yes I do. After a certain point it's hard to distinguish between an A+ stem and an A++ stem, you know? I don't know if I could say who makes the absolute "best" stems, but there's definitely a level of quality among the top artisans. If you can fall in that range, that's good enough for me.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Chris, your pipe might arrive soon than the date estimated by Ebay. I purchased a pipe from the same guy and my delivery date to FL from CA was Nov 12 but it arrived on Nov 9th. I hope yours arrives quicker also.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Not an issue flmason. I constantly travel. I will see this pipe around Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.