PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfinished

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
I thought of adding nutural sugar juice from sugar canes and distilled water to increase RH level(since it helps cigars) then allow to age.
Most pipe tobacco I've tried don't have much flavors, although I do like the aroma, unlike cigars or cigarettes. Would this improve tobacco flavors?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you're smoking good quality tobacco, adding sugar would be not just unnecessary but detrimental.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Unfinished, which blends specifically do you find flavorless?
And though my knowledge of cigars is limited, I've never heard of adding sugar to them to help them age. Is this a common practice?
I can attest that Virginias can age quite well. Whether this is due to its natural sugar content, I don't know.
Is there a horticulturalist in the house?

unfinished

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
No one adds sugar to cigars, sorry, I was refering to higher RH levels(60-70%). Flue cured virginia age greatly because of sugars. Air cured, fire cured and sun cured virginia are lower in sugars and not as great to age.
I have been smoking Lancer Slices by Charles Fairmorn, Best brown #2 by Gawith Hoggarth, Best Brown Flakes by Samuel Gawith and drug store aromatics. I have tried drying them all until crispy, better but not great, I am sure it is not ghosting, I make sure to clean with holy water :).

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I have tried this, I bought some basic cavendish, no casing or topping. I added rum, maple syrup and chocolate extract. And the result was that the tobacco burned so hot that it was unsmokable itself. I actually use it to mix but I only need a very small amount and actually don't really use it much. I agree with the other guys it is much better to just mix tobaccos to get your results. There are lots of tobaccos out there with great flavor. Try Sutliff's Molto Dolce it is a sweet great tasting tobacco. As is McClellands Holiday Spirit.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Adding sugar to a finished blend will only add moisture and make it sticky to the touch. If it is sweetness that you are searching for, try a blend containing a substantial amount of Red Virginia. Flavoring to some degree will actually enhance and bring out the sweetness of Virginia tobaccos. So, a blend containing at least 30% Red Virginia, or more, will have at least a miniscule amount of aromatic added. In terms of a recommendation, I will suggest a GL Pease/Tarler blend named Two Friends Heritage (TFH), or my own C&D blend named Pot O' Gold Mixture (POG). TFH is readily available online. POG is only available at this time by direct order from C&D. I really think that you need to search out Virginia tobacco blends rather than add sugar in any form to a finished blend. In particular, do not necessarily shy away from the mention of an aromatic in the description. More important is the element of Red Virginia, at least 30% and a combination of other tobacco leaf appealing to you. The blends I mentioned do not contain Latakia.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've been wanting a pipe tobacco with a prominent molasses character for the past two years, looks like there is a reason it is so rare and that there is no information about making your own...
(Wessex Burley Slice, which I haven't tried yet, is the only thing I've heard about so far)
I also want my own clove and anise pipe tobacco but I'm no blender so that'll probably never see the light of day...

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
sparroa,
How about a blend named Green River Vanilla. It is a C&D Blend. I do not know the exact aromatic. However, "Vanilla" is misleading. My take on this aromatic is that it is excellent and flavored with Honey and Vanilla. Perhaps a light touch of Caramel, as well. You could give it a try. As far as I am concerned, it is the closest thing to Molasses that I have ever smoked and I do think it is great.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks captainbob, it sounds good but I don't think I can get it from my supplier. Maybe some day I will make a direct order to C&D... The thing that surprises me is that there aren't any blends that market a molasses casing even though it has probably been used for many years as a background ingredient in pipe tobacco... Wessex and Stonehaven are the only two I've ever heard it mentioned... (Treacle for Stonehaven, not much difference) I suppose I could always start chewing tobacco for a molasses fix but that's not my thing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sparroa, if you are looking for something with a molasses undertone, I would recommend Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. It is a great blend, that is naturally sweet and is made from high quality tobacco's.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Excellent, thanks! I haven't heard much about it but looking at the reviews now it seems promising...

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I cased some raw Virgina lue cured with molassas, grain alcohol and a drop of vanilla and the flavor is amazing. In 6 months, when the harshness ages away, It will be some fine smoke I think.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
See I something that simple was on the market, and if there is I wish they were more clear about it...
It's just a good old fashioned flavour.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Just one more caution- not only will sugar add harshness and heat, but adding sugar vastly increases the chance of growing mold.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.