Adding moisture before jarring helps in aging process?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Has anyone noticed that adding moisture to a new blend before jarring up seems to help in aging? Seems to speed up some maturing or something to me. Ive tried pressing and loose packed and that doesn't really make much difference but the moisture does. I lay the tobacco out on a plate and spray it down lightly. Maybe the moisture is helping to marry the flavors somewhat.
Your experience?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I would highly recommend against that due to concerns for mold. Tobacco comes at an appropriate moisture per the blenders specs.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would not do that for fear that the tobacco would rot, mold, etc. The only way I know of to speed up "ageing" is heat.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I have added
001-069-0011.jpg
before with no problem but mainly for my open tins.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not something that I would consider doing. Heat may speed things up, but I prefer to just let nature take its course. I do warm the jars before sealing to expand the air inside prior to sealing, bu even that doesn't really make much of a difference. The lids all pop just fine eventually.

On the DR blends that come very dry, I put the tobacco next to my pot of boiling water with the jars before I jar them up. It does need moisture to age. Do what you want though, but I find that moisture really does work for darkening the tobacco in a couple of years. No mold yet. YMMV

And heck if it does mold, a bag just shy a pound is like $12. No big loss.

Mar 1, 2014
I've tried sprinkling Vodka in a few jars before sealing. I know it's sanitary, but It's hard to say whether the alcohol will be detrimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.