PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
So, to "spice" up a nice, but kind of boring, Virginia flake I want to smoke, this evening I added a small amount of 1-Q on top of my 3/4 loaded pipe. I liked the result, and wonder if anyone else does this sort of customization right in ones bowl...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't know about anyone else but I usually just mix blends in the palm of my hand and stuff my pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, they do. I also put drier tobacco in first, then top off with slightly damper tobacco, sometimes of same blend, sometimes a different one altogether. Some folks also mix before loading, but I do not.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I usually mix 2 blends in a small bowl and then add to my pipe. For the best results, I'll mix enough of the two blends to fill a half pint mason jar and let the sealed jar sit for a month to let the two blends marry for a more uniform taste.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Once in a while but not often I'll mix a couple blends or throw one on top of the other or go nuts and make a parfait - wild and crazy guy that I am.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do the mixing "thing" mostly; I have tried different tobaccos in layers, so-called parfait after the dessert dishes. But I prefer mixing. It works for me when I do it with some thought and keep it simple. I don't like random jar of all the dregs, which can be pretty harsh or just undecided in taste.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm usually one of those that often shed a silent tear (and clench a fist in righteous anger) at the thought of all the poor, ruined espresso beans and scotch whiskeys out there being cruelly diluted and tainted with the flavor shots and coca colas of the world. That being said, I did wake up this morning and place a coin of Dunhill Navy Rolls (the re-release, don't worry) together with a coin of Newminster Round Slices, and half a flake of Mac Baren Bold Kentucky, on my chopping board, and hack it all into cute little cubes before gravity feeding it into my largest bowl. I let it mix a little on the board, but generally the order went: Dunhill at the bottom, Bold Kentucky in the middle, Newminster on top. I am now happily puffing away in hippocracy... and if that's not a real word, well, so much the better. Hypocrisy? I don't care.

The pipe burns a spike-like cherry down the center of the bowl before widening out at the top. With the layered "parfait" method I have found that with the way the pipe burns vertically, after a few minutes all of the flavors are muddled together anyways.

But, we've got tons of posts where people have posted their favorites. I will add this -Google list- to the posts added here for reference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
george', spelling strays into free form occasionally on Forums, and I'm one of the culprits, but I use a dictionary or spell check from time to time to keep it intelligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.