PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishpuffer

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
Well, I know some people add different kinds of alcohol to their tobacco, but how do you do it? I guess it is a matter of very small quantities? Do you just add a few drops to the tin, or is there some different/better way to do it? I'm buying all kinds of different tobaccos to try them out these days, some of them seem like they would appeal to me more with a little bit of a twist, so, instead of just storing and forgetting them, I was considering trying out flavoring them with Cognac, or Whiskey. I would love your input on this matter.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
When I rehydrate tobacco that is too dry, I put the tobacco in a bowl, and place a damp paper towel on top. I may dampen the towel with whiskey and see what happens.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am going to buy a pouch of Red Top, which is very dry, and only cost 2.99. No big loss if it doesn't work.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
That's what I have always done. I thought I would try something different.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I'd be inclined to try a eye dropper with a bit of bourbon, and distibute the drops about--then mix and close it back up for a a while.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Maybe try letting the tobacco dry out all of the way until it is crispy and then slowly re-hydrate the tobacco with the liquor.
I would use the wet towel method for re-hydration so that the tobacco slowly re-hydrates by naturally absorbing the liquor into the tobacco.
You could spread the tobacco out on a baking sheet and place it into the oven at a low temp to dry it out.
This might not work because I think the only way to really get the flavorings into the tobacco is to press it in.
Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I’ve had good success with the bowl-paper towel method. Never thought about putting booze on the towel. Might give it shot if the need come up but I’m kinda leaning more towards Cortezattic’s idea of drink the booze and smoke dry baccy.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I forgot about this thread. Did anyone try this yet. If not, I will do this. I have developed a taste for whisky flavored tobak.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'd just as soon drink the spirit and enjoy it with a pipe. Nothing quite like a good pipe and beverage combo.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Mick,
One thing I will do once in a while... usually when I'm cleaning my pipes.
I'll carefully pack one bowl of 1Q (usually in my Cavicchi Volcano because the bowl is a good size and it sits well) and drip two drops of Ezra Brooks into the center of the tobacco.

I use a pipe cleaner that I am about to use on the clean up project. While I am cleaning I let the "seasoned" tobacco rest, giving a chance for the "sauce" to spread evenly and dry a bit. By the time the other pipe is cleaned, the bowl is ready to smoke.

Mmmmmmm good smoke.

And it's real whiskey flavor.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I would still think a spritz of your favorite alky and sprayed from a small spray bottle on the tobacco would do it for a quickie flavor additive. Rum, whiskey, or Amaretto would seem to be the best.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Yep, that's what I was thinking too. A spray bottle so you can lightly and evenly mist the tobacco. Them lightly mix and dry. Let us know. : )

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I think Esoterica's Pembroke is topped with Cognac. I've had some and it's a good smoke but requires some drying time.
Smokey

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Many of my home blends use flavored alcohal. There is a drying time of about 3-4 weeks for 8+ oz. For a small tin of sliced I would say 1 drop per slice. For 1 oz or more it varries depending on what your palet wants are. I would say trial and error my friend.

I would personally spread the tobacco on a tray and use a spray bottle to lightly spray the tobacco, then gently mix it in and repeat the process, let it dry for a day. Repeat the process and then press the tobacco with some weight wrapped in parchment paper. Saw it in a video by Cornell & Diehl on pipesmagazine.com (here)
Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.