PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Hey all. I had a request to make a blend that tasted like chocolate mocha. Before you ask, this request was from an HR lady at work who has never even smoked a pipe. At first I thought I would just dump a drug store pouch into my press and give her that. But then I got to thinking...how would I add coffee flavoring to a blend?
I am still fairly new to home blending, pressing, and stoving. And, I don’t have any experience adding my own flavorings. If I want a specific note, I’ll just add a tobacco with that note already in it to the blend.
My first thought was to grind up coffee beans and add them in, but immediately thought about how that could be a really bad idea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's with the double posts? We've had three or four of these recently.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I tried to delete my post in the tobacco forum. Didn’t work. Any advice?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The first thing I would try, if I were so inclined, is to grind up some coffee and create a sachet, and place it in a sealed jar with a Burley blend (because Burley picks up foreign flavors, or so I read).
You can search for coffee flavored blends at TobaccoReviews.com, but I think most are something of a disappointment, and in any event the topping/casing recipes are unavailable.
Russ Ouellette could probably suggest more direct approaches to creating a custom flavored blend -- it's how he started out.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
There are multiple coffee flavored tobaccos on the market. Rather than try to discover the whole process, just do a google search and select one or more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a fresh brewed pot of coffee with a cup to pour it in, with my bowl of a good non-aro blend.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Thanks all. I get too much enjoyment out of attempting to create my own blends. I have started some testing already. I am starting with Cortez's suggestion. I cut open 2 of my wife's Starbucks Mocha K-Cups and am trying to infuse some HH Burley Flake. I'll likely mix an aro with it in hopes to give it a creamy taste...

ac1eb904-25f2-4497-b9ba-63bf9b6e55d2-600x450.jpg

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Reading the OP above, I too wondered why one couldn't take some coffee beans and coarse-grind them for direct addition to the blend.
There are any number of herbs which can be blended into pipe tobacco, from Willow and Dogwood barks used by the Native Americans to :

Pipsissewa, Chimaphila sp. and Pyrola, Pyrola sp.;

Manzanita, Shrubby Arctostaphylos sp.;

Blackberry, Rubus sp.;

Scotch Broom, Cytisus scoparius (can make one nauseous in quantity);

Mullein, Verbascum thapsus;

Horehound, Marrubium vulgare, and Coltsfoot, Tussilago farfara;

Skullcap, Scutellaria sp.;

Mugwort Herbaceous Artemisia sp. (not shrubs);

Sagebrush, shrubby Artemisia sp.;

Lemon Balm, Melissa officinalis;

Clove (tiny quantities, OR IT can be VERY irritating to esophagus and lungs);

and Ginger, among others (The above are culled from the .PDF book "Herbal Smoking Mixtures" which I found on Scribd).
I am not an herbalist, nor any kind of medical pretender, so I recommend reading up on any herb one might contemplate adding to a tobacco blend before trying it. Some of the ones listed can be poisonous in quantities taken directly, others are medicinal when used in limited dosages, others are ?????.
I have tried Anise a couple of decades ago, but I figure on grinding the seeds a bit before adding them to a tobacco next time.
I definitely don't have a "world class" sense of smell or taste, not even a Town of Greene Class (pop. 4096), and I rarely can taste the flavor on the label in the smoke from my pipe. Some of them, I can't even detect the labeled flavor in the tin note (noted exception on both counts: Captain Black Grape ! ! )

Just an observation: in my experience, burning coffee beans smell nothing like good coffee.

This was my thought also. Even coffee liquors don’t smell very good when burnt. I think this is why there are so many bad coffee aromatics. I would think that the key is finding a burley that has a natural coffee/ cocoa aroma and playing off that with things that bring it to a more pronounced coffee aroma. Things like anise and vanilla can smell different than they taste, so maybe some experimentations may show that somethong totally unexpected would give a tobacco a coffee aroma. You never know, a particular burley and vanilla could smell like coffee.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I imagine burning coffee beans would smell (and taste) like holy hell. Smoking with mesquite makes meat delicious; smoking meat with pine makes your ribs taste like Pine-Sol. They're both wood, but boy, what a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.