PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, I just read an interesting thread from five years ago where a chap says he saves his cigar buts and grinds them in a coffee grinder afore adding the flakes to his pipe tobaccos.
Does anyone currently do that I wonder? Am thinking of buying some cheapo Henri Winterman Cafe Creme mini cigars to try this out but would use them unsmoked.
Regards,
Jay.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I'm not too sure about cigar butts, but unsmoked cigar cuts would add something interesting to a mix, especially the wrapper.

Jun 4, 2014
Don't know about using cigar butts, mostly because all the tars and other stuff that would settle in there. The few times I've attempted to smoke a cigar that had sat even overnight the taste was usually sour. Using new cigars along with some other blending tobaccos as 1coyote suggest would be the way I would try.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Stalin would do the same with his Herzogovina Flor cigarettes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Whenever I cut the cap off of a cigar I usually save it and add it to a bowl of Virginias/Virginia flake. Makes for a good variation on the usual straight VA.
Rather than buying cheaper cigarillos, I'd just buy a single, good quality cigar -- one stick would be enough for many bowls of X + cigar leaf. Someone gave me some cigarillos recently and putting them in the pipe was more like smoking a cigarette than is the case when I use the trimmings of a good cigar.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Meet Brad :)
B5A69809-3A36-4CC4-803E-0AC43C943258_zpsrkokjdvr.jpg

Also
https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/sunny-semois/

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just use the cap, throw it in the leftovers jar, its a nice leaf to stumble across in a bowl.

Just last week I had a little romeo y julieta mille fleurs cigar (mild small gauge cuban) that was kind of unrolling at one end, so I lopped off an inch and dropped it in a pipe, it was a nice smoke and I ended up doing it again the next day.
Isaac.

p.s try a kentucky cheroot, yum yum yum. Also here is a thread I started last year to get cigar reccomendations cigars

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Better then [than] Billy Budd"
That is one blend I have heard much about, alas I have never tried it.
"You can adjust the Perique too (too meaning also ) your own taste for spiciness."
So "you can adjust the perique also your own taste for spiciness" doesn't quite make sense but I think I get your meaning.
I think Pitchfork's idea is a good one, I really don't fancy grinding up stinky butts in my coffe grinder. Also as Dutchman points out, all of that concentrated nicotine doesn't sound too appealing.
Thanks for your replies chaps.
Regards,
Jay.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The cap on a cigar is not just a circle of cigar leaf held on with spit.
The cap is treated with something like Gum Tragacanth. I can't see where it would be beneficial.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
+1 derfatdutchman. The nub has tar and moisture and at that point your cigar tastes like something else.
Can you do it? Why not! Do whatever you want. I wouldnt - in fact I rarely smoke much of the last third of any cigar...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As coyote (quite correctly) pointed out my blooper regarding 'buts' and 'butts' (autocorrect function playing up actually), I thought I might list just a few of his own...
China is contracted and paid too follow certain specifications

I did a fine sanding inside the chamber before smoking too check.

Years ago what came too mind: made in China, it's junk

You still need too be VERY CAREFUL on what you purchase

they were shipping particle board with asbestos too the USA.

Houses that were built, then had too be torn down!

NEVER purchase ANY pet foods or treats from China if you want your pet too live

You can adjust the Perique too your own taste for spiciness
...it could of course be a sticky key on his Chinese laptop :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cosmic, the whole purpose of a forum is to enable folks to communicate in a coherent manner. For this to be successful certain protocols must be followed, not least of which is the correct use of language.
Once individuals deviate from the known and accepted guidelines of a language then ambiguity or even misunderstanding creeps in.
There is nothing at all wrong in using language correctly, there is much wrong in using it incorrectly.
FWIW I suspect you know this to be true.
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I used to toss cigar butts into a clay and smoke the damn things years ago if I ran out of twist or whatever - I seem to remember they burn pretty hot and don't really taste of a whole lot of anything.

FWIW I suspect you know this to be true.

Absolutely, but unless the misspelled, or misused word creates a problem with my understanding of a post, and sometimes it does, I don't correct them, because it just seems sort of rude to me, especially if I am not sure whether the poster is a native speaker or not. And, by no means am I telling others what is rude and what is not rude. Far be it for me to be the rude police, ha ha. I compensate by being rude in other ways, but I don't mean to be. :puffy:
That said, and to keep it on track. I had never thought of the cut nib of the cigar having binders in it. Thanks Zekest. Also, keep in mind that there are different types of leaf in the different parts of a cigar's anatomy. The filler can be completely different from the wrap, and there can be layers under the wrap of different types of leaf. So, if you just start cutting up cigars, you may or may not get something "known." It could be good, it could suck. But, if you think that by cutting up a madura cigar and blend it, that madura leaf makes for a good or bad blend, you might be completely offbase, because you had really been using something completely different than you thought.

I hope that makes sense.
I was also using the cut ends of my cigars for little surprise flavors in my smokes, like mortonbriar said. But, with what zekest has pointed out, it might just be some chemical binder that I am enjoying, ha ha.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I personally think it rude for someone to write posts that can be misunderstood or posts that need to be read twice to get the meaning. That all said, I was pulled first for my 'buts', I merely responded in kind. Also, coyote insists (elsewhere) that his use of 'too' instead of 'to' is perfectly good (American) English, I was simply telling him he is mistaken.
Anyway, regarding using cigar tobacco in pipes I intend to experiment next time I hit my B&M. I suspect they burn hotter as Condorlover states due to being dry, so I shall mix up my cigar flakes with some S. Gawith FVF and hopefully after a few days in a jar will be perfect for the pipe. I only recently learned that a cigar is not necessarily of a single leaf throughout but a mixture in the core with a stronger leaf for the outer. More to a cigar than meets the eye!
Regards,
Jay.

I believe that it was Russ or Greg Pease who said that most of the flavor that we get from a cigar is from the wrapper touching our lips as we smoke them. I've put cigars in my pipes, just as the picture of Bradly shows, and it's true that I don't get much flavor that way. This is why blenders struggled with making a blend that tasted like a cigar. Apparently, it just doesn't work that way. The pipe also carries a subtle aroma of the briar or cake with it. I prefer to just think of cigar blends as something unique in the pipe world, not as a substitute for a cigar.

Russ's Virgina Spice the cigar adds a creamy mouth feel to the smoke and really cools it down. I opened a jar of this the other day, because as it gets closer to Autumn, this blend really starts to sing for me. Then there is Key Largo, where the cigar leaf adds some kick to the blend and deepens the flavors. I love this one with an iced fruit beverage by the side of the pool in the heat of the summer. Neither reminds me of a cigar. When I want a cigar, I fire up a cigar. YMMV

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As I mentioned earlier, my only cigar experience was with Winterman's Cafe Creme mini cigars and though I did like the flavour very much still didn't feel as though I was smoking a 'proper' cigar. I reckon I shall just buy something in the £3-£5 bracket and see how that goes.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.