PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmass17

Lurker
Feb 18, 2012
Wondering if anyone has tried what I have. You don't want your smoke to end. So you grab a pinch or two and add it to your burning ember. Or, when you get to the bottom you just add it then. Well, when I wait till it gets to the bottom the experience is usually a tip of the tongue full of ash, even if I run the pipe cleaner though a few times. When I add the extra pinch or two before the bottom is hit, I get a bit better results, yet it's not quite the same taste as the fresh bowl was.=====Anyone have any tips on this, is this a "No-No" I never see any videos or discussion about it. Am U better off just getting another pipe off the rack and continuing that way, yet I just want another 10 minutes or so??!!! LOL... Thanks

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Welcome to the Forums!
Great question. I do this once in a while, but mostly just finish a bowl, or if it's not tasting so great, once in a while dump and start another pipe. Short answer --- it will not taste the same as a fresh bowl no matter what you do. The little bit of baccy/ember/heel of the pipe left has the accumulated flavors/tar/nicotine of the smoked bowl. It is a way to extend the smoke if that's the only pipe you have on you at the time, and sometimes it's very satisfying, but it will taste different than a full fresh bowl.

Hope this helps.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I've tried many times to help keep the smoke going so I could smoke it to the heel to help accumulate a cake down there. I've never been successful so I've just started back with the third of bowls method. Usually ashy, hot, and hard to keep lit. Those have been my experiences.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I do it occasionally to finish off a tin, but not to extend the smoke. Sometimes I get to the end of a tin, and there's enough for a full bowl, plus a pinch or two extra. So I'll light the pipe, smoke it down a bit, then add the remainder on top.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd grab another pipe.
I've tried many times to help keep the smoke going so I could smoke it to the heel to help accumulate a cake down there. I've never been successful so I've just started back with the third of bowls method. Usually ashy, hot, and hard to keep lit. Those have been my experiences.
If you dry down your tobacco before loading, you'll be able to smoke to the heel, or very near there, with a good deal of pleasure. Most tobaccos are shipped with moisture great for storing, not so much for smoking without a soggy bottom!
In any and all events, enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For this we have larger bowl pipes. If you don't finish those, you can always leave them for few hours or overnight and come back and finish them up. This works well for me, serial smoking. Adding tobacco late in a burning bowl doesn't capture the goodness of either the end of the smoke nor the new tobacco added, for some reason. Resuming the smoking of a big bowl pipe has the added pleasure of immediately enjoying a smoke without having to pack and char.
Small bowls have their special purposes, and of course our well-loved medium bowls. All of which provides a ready excuse to buy a few more pipes.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have done it occasionally, the other week I was smoking something very average while paying a visit to the local forge, and was offered something else to smoke so I just stuffed a pinch on top and it was just fine...not something that would happen on a normal day though, if I had a second pipe in my coat pocket I would have used that.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Not uncommon when doing yard work with a beat up cob or Briar, I'll top off the bowl from whatever pouch I have at hand.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Done it, don't recommend. Carry a couple of pipes with you. I call 'em jacket pipes. Boswell Pipes has some nose warmers that are not expensive and work well for this purpose.
For transparency: I am a Boswells Pipe fan and have several of J.M's and Dan's pipes. They are truly great smokers. I do not own stock in their operation. I'm just a big fan.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
+1 theloniousmonkfish
While in the shop I sometimes excavate the top ash fill the pipe back up to the top. I feel it is frowned upon, but nobody is watching me while I am in my shop.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As above, I don't recommend it. Besides the other points, you are likely to wind up with two embers, thus the mouth full of ash. The bottom part of the tobacco burns completely out while the new pinches are still burning, and you suck ash right off of the bottom. There's no way to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.