Addiction, Moderation, Fascination, Obsession?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Started smoking a pipe to use up some ryo instead of using papers.

Got curious about pipe tobacco. Got some. Learned to appreciate tobacco from a new perspective and found that pipe smoking moderated my tobacco use.

I learned to sip and taste and to derive enough nicotine from retrohale and probably tongue swallow to satisfy that motivation and found a new world of personal exploration which has now begun to cause me concern.
It's ironic that a pipe requires moderation, yet I can't get enough of pipes and tobaccos.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Those adjectives are spot on. It is indeed a new world of exploration. Maybe it is addiction. Towards the end of my workday, I get antsy looking forward to my after-dinner bowl. Is it the nicotine? I can't see it being worse than cigs and it is a hell of a lot more enjoyable. I'm going to have to question moderation. my new exploration has been about excess. I definitely have more than I need and smoke more than I should.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was a long time Drum smoker. One reason I enjoyed Drum was it's smell. It also has the best papers I've ever used and I could never find exactly the same to buy by themselves...

Drum became horrendously expensive and I searched for less expensive alternatives.

I am loathe to smoke and inhale burnt paper. I know that IT is problematic having experienced first hand the differences of many, many brands of paper...I never used anything but regular size.

Having discovered the richness and complexity of pipe smoking, I see it as civilized tobacco enjoyment requiring attention to detail and personal pacing (moderation)...even rolling my own cigs was a way to involve process to reduce actual 'smoking'.

Cool Newbroom, we have very similar beginnings. While there was always pipe men in my family while I was growing up, I didn't pick up the pipe myself until I got fed up with paying the RYO machine fees for bulk rolling my own cartons. I used the pipe to transfer my addiction. At first, I was thinking that it was going to be cheaper, and in a way, it could be, if I didn't have this thing for really nice artisan pipes.

Now, I have a pipe in my mouth from the time I roll out of bed till bedtime. I've been thinking that maybe I should cut back, but I haven't thought of a good reason to do this yet. If anyone could suggest a good reason for cutting back to a few times a day, I'm all ears.
I'm also very jealous of these guys who may only smoke a few times a week. If I could do that, I would probably just drop it all together and save myself the worry of the future of pipe smoking. But, as it is, I feel vested in the hobby, and I keep my ears keen to the issues. I freely admit that I am addicted, guilty on all counts, and I throw myself on the mercy of the court. But, on the other hand, who isn't addicted to something, cellphones, the internet, TV shows, colas, cars, gasoline, toilet paper... so, I've got a thing for burning leaves in a piece of wood that I keep in my teeth... I own it freely and proudly.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Cosmic, i think the only one you are trying to convince is yourself, lol. I don't care what you want to call it, i'll take all of the above. As long as you are happy and enjoying the amount of time you spend puffing, who gives a flying fuck! "Everything in MODERATION" is the key phrase i live by, and it continues to serve me well.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Addiction, moderation, fascination and obsession? Yep, that's why we're all on this forum."
I couldn't agree more, and ain't it a blast!
tinner :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
-cosmicfolklore
I've been thinking that maybe I should cut back, but I haven't thought of a good reason to do this yet. If anyone could suggest a good reason for cutting back to a few times a day, I'm all ears.
Sigmund Freud had the same philosophy of "moderation" (the only time he didn't smoke was while sleeping) and got oral cancer requiring surgery.

Oom Paul was eventually told by his doctor to limit pipe use to one bowl a day (thus the generally gigantc bowl of the Oom Paul pipe).

Mar 1, 2014
I can definitely agree with pipe use being addictive on an entirely non-chemical level. With my limited piping schedule, for last few months it seems like I haven't tried the same thing twice.

Waiting even one day between bowls can be an exercise in willpower.
Just thinking of the possibilities is mind boggling. At this point for me to try every blend that I have, in every style of pipe, with three levels of packing density and moisture level, in every combination, at my preferred pace of two bowls per week...

...will take 20 years.

The desire to smoke constantly is more than understandable.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Now, I have a pipe in my mouth from the time I roll out of bed till bedtime

Yeah, but...you don't load them all the night before, likely...so, even though you feel like you've got one going all the time...you MUST have to break for a pipe cleaner or new pack once in awhile?

I usually wait until I've got my bottom plate in...after the coffee's brewed...about 15 minutes after I get up.

I smoke maybe 5-7 bowls a day?...not really sure...I'm up by 2:30 most mornings and by 4:30 I'm out the door for a two mile walk. Later, I'm surfing ebay, reading this blog, online poker, stretch band exercising, cooking for myself all take up time I might otherwise spend puffing. I retired a year ago and am still trying to find my way.

I play softball 3x a week too. 55 yrs and up....a lot of guys in their 70's and some in their 80's. I usually run for anyone on the team who is able to reach first safely on their own but have running issues permitting a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.