PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Glen was kind enough to send an unexpected letter back to me. In it he writes:
"Thanks for the kind words about the Christmas pipe design – It had indeed proved very popular this year especially with the variety of shapes this year.
I will keep an eye on the forum for future topics also its good to hear all comments from customers both good and bad.
I will look at joining the forum so that people have a point of contact for Peterson too. It might be a good platform to change peoples perceptions especially that I don’t see any other pipe manufacturer represented on the forum.
Best Regards,
Glen"
One thing I've noticed about Peterson is that they are usually responsive to complaints about their pipes. At least they have with me. So keep a lookout for Glen's remarks. By the way, to the gentelmen and ladies here, does anyone know why so many desirable Petersons are fitted with P-Lip stems? People are creatures of habit, and I've seen many Petersn's I'd like to own, except for those darned P-Lips. Also, I offen wonder why virtually all Perterson's are embellished with bands. I enjoy a pure wood pipe without extra adornments like bands, and wonder why they don't appear.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks sparrowhawk
I have found Glen to be very helpful. A few months ago one of my X105s (the Atlantic) developed a bubble on the very glossy finish. Obviously the finish was a little unstable when heated, even though I am not a particularly hot smoker. So I sent the pipe off to Sallynoggin with a covering letter explaining my concerns.
After about six weeks I still had not heard from them, so I sent an email which wound up going to their shop in Dublin. A very helpful person there gave me Glen's name and email.
To cut a long story short, we had a brief email correspondence, and my pipe arrived back to me safe and sound. They seem to have taken off the very glossy finish (together with the bubbling) and buffed up a more natural silky finish. If you look at the Atlantic in my recent 7 day set thread, you can see it is more silk than gloss.
I am more than happy with the way Peterson responded to me, and to the repair, but I admit that having Glen on-side helped a lot! He's a good man and a useful one, I think, to cultivate.
Mike

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
By the way, to the gentelmen and ladies here, does anyone know why so many desirable Petersons are fitted with P-Lip stems? People are creatures of habit, and I've seen many Petersn's I'd like to own, except for those darned P-Lips. Also, I offen wonder why virtually all Perterson's are embellished with bands. I enjoy a pure wood pipe without extra adornments like bands, and wonder why they don't appear.
A had to pause for a “wtf” moment. This is like saying you’d buy more Danish pipes if they would but stop with all the freehand nonsense.
I’d imagine the band and the plip are found often on the higher end pipes because people that buy high end Peterson’s find them desirable. However, Peterson will make a fishtail stem for you for a nominal fee, so will a number of domestic pipe folks.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for that tip!

About the Atlantic line: I think they were having so much trouble with bubbling gloss that they stopped finishing with gloss and instead put a high wax finish. The same thing happened with my Atlantic and the gloss was entirely removed, refinished and waxed.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Now just if they would spend more care making their pipes and also stop dip staining them I would buy another one.
I spent a decent amount of money on a Rosslare Royal Irish that I would expect to be made properly and clearly it was drilled for a filter and the stem isn't made for a filter so there's about a 3/4" gap between the back of the mortise and the tenon. I probably should have contacted them but didn't bother.
I'm sorry but who makes crap like that? Also of the few Petersons I own the inside of the bowl is stained and then covered over with their precarb coating.
IF they start fixing some of those issues I will think about buying another one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Petersons without bands, a Belgique (the little Group 1) and a Shannon ... not many but they are out there.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for getting Peterson aware/involved in the forums. They can finally see and read about potential problems instead of relying on vendors who will just turn around and resell the pipe. Additionally they can also understand the love smokers have for the brand.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I wasn't going to do this, but...
I had a friend on another forum (another hobby). His last name was Rona. He named his dog Mysha. True story.
Mysha Rona
Sigh...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I must, at long last, reveal my dark secret -- I rarely don't understand the punchline of jokes or understand puns. What does Mysha Rona imply?

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
My Sharona is the same of a song that more than a few Bands have released on their album. Mysha Rona is the same as My Sharona, with only spacing and capitalization changed. The only thing implied was fun and coincidence. Part of the fun of puns is when not everyone knows them but you are able to figure it out on your own.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
People are creatures of habit, and I've seen many Petersn's I'd like to own, except for those darned P-Lips. Also, I offen wonder why virtually all Perterson's are embellished with bands. I enjoy a pure wood pipe without extra adornments like bands, and wonder why they don't appear.
Peterson pipes look like Peterson pipes. You either love them or hate them.
A had to pause for a “wtf” moment. This is like saying you’d buy more Danish pipes if they would but stop with all the freehand nonsense.
I’d imagine the band and the plip are found often on the higher end pipes because people that buy high end Peterson’s find them desirable. However, Peterson will make a fishtail stem for you for a nominal fee, so will a number of domestic pipe folks.
It's also like saying you like calabash pipe but hate meerschaum bowls, and they look too Sherlock Holmes-ish.

Jan 8, 2013
virtually all Perterson's are embellished with bands. I enjoy a pure wood pipe without extra adornments like bands, and wonder why they don't appear.
There are a quite a few Peterson lines that don't sport a band on the shank, Sparrow. Look up Clontarf, Belgique, Shannon, Kenmare, Aran (with and without bands), and Waterford.

Status
Not open for further replies.