PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I took advantage of the recent P&C customer appreciation day 20% off sale and ordered a pound each of Newminster Superior Round Slices and Superior Flake. It worked out to just over $23 per pound so I pulled the trigger even though I had never tried either blend (couldn't help myself).

Today I laid out some of the Superior Round Slices and gave it a first smoke. The slices are pretty good. I have heard others say it is not a complex blend and i would have to agree. However, it is still very good. The Kentucky definitely gives the Virginia components more flavor and makes for a good smoke. Hopefully it will also age well.

I haven't tried the flake yet, but I am pleased with the Round Slices.

Anyone else like these?

Both are excellent, and I keep both in my cellar. The flake is similar to Virginia #1, except maybe a tad more tingly (some say bitey), but I love that tingly sensation in bright Virginias. The Round Slices are very, very similar to Three Nuns, but better in that it is a tad bit sweeter, with less of that heavy burly aftertaste. IMO.

If you like Virginias, you'll really like these underrated Newminster blends.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yes lawmax, I'm finishing a bowl of Newminster Superior Flake that came today. Very happy with it. The flakes

are about 1/4" longer than a pint wide mouth jar is tall. I only bought 8oz so I forced them down to fit.
tinner :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Newminster #'s 400 and 403 are great cellar foundation builders.
These blends seem to be a little "under the radar" considering the quality vs price.
Cosmic ... good comparison to the Nuns, I completely agree.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The Navy Flake is great, I haven't tried the Slices yet. The Navy is a steal though, great quality for the price.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I was thinking of picking up a some No.52 Ultimate English. How is the Latakia content? I like a lot of Latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.