PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Today, I think I successfully added a brother to the briar...My own brother :D :puffy:
My brother helped me move my grandfather's workbench (that I helped build when I was in 6 yrs old) from my Aunt's house to mine. Then he brought his children over and helped me clean out a spot for the workbench and he started asking about my pipes. Being that he normally smokes a cigar from time to time, I was rather pleased to hear him ask. So, I offered for him to smoke a pipe with me and I introduced him to OGS. While we were working, he barely put his pipe down, taking nice little sips like I instructed. :)
Later, I asked him if he'd like a pipe of his own. This led me to showing him how to pack, light, and tamper, then I ended up sending him off with a nice pipe from Israel, some cleaners, a pipe tool and some tobacco to try out.
Overall, a very successful day!

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
That's awesome! I actually managed to get my dad to take the pipe back up after 25 years. It's nice having someone to smoke with.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I wanted to update this with how he's coming along.
I wasn't sure just how much my brother would take to smoking his new pipe and he hasn't had time to call and talk with me due to a new job. Well, talking with my mom on Mother's Day, I asked her how he's liking his pipe. Mom responded "It was odd to see you start smoking a pipe, but it's even more odd to see my baby smoking one, too. He's been out in the sunroom just about every night enjoying a smoke when I get home from work."
With that in mind, I think I might have to help him with another batch of tobacco soon, lol.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That's wonderful! Another added to the ranks...sounds like he's taking to it well too! :puffy:

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I do love converting someone to the cause. And it's always interesting to see how they then advance as a smoker. A friend of mine was converted last christmas, and has since gone down an utterly different route to me. It makes for great conversation and comparisom.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
i have hooked my nephew on a pipe and his brother in law is nibling at the edge of it. i can't seem to get my baby brother to slow down and enjoy though... he'll burn through a bowl in 15 minutes.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
:lol: It is fun, that's for sure. My wife suggested a pipe for my step dad and then one for my brother in law who is getting married next month as a wedding gift. I'm not sure my step dad would smoke one (I'll have to talk with him about the benefits over his cigs), but my brother in law would likely smoke it from time to time. So, there's potentially two more people. I've been noticing at the local grocery that the pipe tobacco seems to be in pretty regular rotation. So, I'm hoping that means more pipe smokers in the area than I'd thought.
The slowing down for a cigarette smoker seems to be the biggest challenge from what I've heard, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.