PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
While most of the members here are having a cold winter, here in Sydney today it is over 44 degrees C (112 F) :(
Generally I think many of us enjoy a pipe in cooler weather so I was going to give up totally today but started to think that maybe a small bowl pipe may be the answer. I dug out my Astley prince and yes it was a great decision, just enough to handle on a hot day. So from now on my little Astley will be my "go to" hot day pipe.
Apparently this weekend (Sat + Sun) is the hottest W/E we have had here in Sydney in more than 20 years, I can believe it........

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Please send us some heat, NYC is freezing!!
To your post, I love a straight VA in hot weather. Cheers.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm pretty sure I'd rather have 10 below, than 112. That's just me though. I'm not going outside for long, either way. :mrgreen:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a heat guy! Gimme all you want! You will never hear me bitch about the heat...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Wowsers! You can have it man. I take -30°C over +30 any day of the week. 44 is a broiling hell.
It warmed up here too: -3°C right now, only a light jacket is needed. :puffy:

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Just an update from the news.....in the western suburbs of Sydney we hit 47.3 today (117 F) which is the hottest day on record.....at 6pm it is still 45 degrees there.
Think I will buy a plane ticket to the northern hemisphere for a month or so ....

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I'm from Alaska. When it gets above 65F, I run the air conditioning in my car.
On my first deployment to Iraq, I was hurting the first few weeks. Eventually, I got used to it, but it was a slow process, and it didn't occur to me that I was acclimating.
Near the end of that deployment, my boss asked for volunteers to switch to the night shift (we worked 12 hour shifts, 7am to 7pm 7 days a week).
Since Iraq is exactly 12 hours time difference from Alaska, I quickly volunteered to go to the night shift, since I'd be on Alaska day time, and in a few weeks, I'd be home.
One night, I was having a smoke, and a breeze kicked up. I was chilled, and actually sat on my hands to keep them warm. I looked up at the thermometer and it was 98 degrees F. Just shows how much we can acclimate.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just recently returned from a 6 week visit to Florida....just in time to feel the frigid weather back in NYC. Been cold here since mid-December. Smoked my pipe while down in the warmer weather in FL. and now, smoking my pipe in freezing cold weather, back home. I rather be in the warmer weather while smoking.
In warmer FL. weather, I could sit back and savor each drag on the tobacco....smoking while freezing isn't so much fun, and I find myself rushing my pipe smoking routine just to get back into the warm house. Flavors of the tobacco has seemed to change, too.
Personally, I'd rather be smoking my briars in moderately cool weather (Sept-Nov)....but warmer weather isn't that bad either. Smoking in freezing cold weather, with chattering teeth....not too good. But hey, that's just me.
Frank

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
It’s not a strict rule by any means for me, but I find myself more often going with a pipe during the colder months & to Cigars when the weather warms up.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Here in Northern Iowa it is warming up to 33 degrees today. Truly feels like summer after almost 8 straight days of below zero temperatures. I can finally smoke a pipe again.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
South coast Finland:still at 28-30f hardly any snow in sight but frankly I'd be feeling much better in somewhere Northern or central territory of Austarlia doing some cowboying at the ranch(in Australia they call them as stations and they are known one of the biggest in the cattle ranching industry) hats and boots+duster coat I have alreadly,

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, some of the cattle stations in the outback are bigger than some countries. Last year a Chinese company was trying to buy one of the bigger ones but the government blocked the sale.
I spent a bit of time out that way and most of the cowboys (Jackaroos) out there usually smoked roll your own cigarettes since they were mainly on horseback or motorbikes.
In the sheep shearing areas however, some of the shearers would smoke a pipe during their smoko break, however roll your own cigarettes did dominate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Got the thin powdery snow scraped off my inclined driveway, fairly easily. Often there's a crusty ice layer under the snow and I have to use salt and mostly wait for warmer days. We're supposed to get up to a balmy 50F early this week, so that will seem tropical after the arctic hints we've been having. Still, not as cold or snowy here as further north ... or south.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
74 F in Tucson today, supposed to get to almost 80 tomorrow. It's uncomfortably warm for winter, and makes me dread what fresh hell will arrive come summer.
Blocked a sale to China, eh? I wish our government would do that once in a while. This place is turning into nothing but a whorehouse, everything for sale to the highest bidder.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
here in Sydney today it is over 44 degrees C (112 F)
Factoring in humidity, that's a lower temperature than it gets here.
1. Fan

2. Air conditioning if you can

3. Dry tobacco b/c humidity will INSTANTLY hydrate it

4. Cannibalize the weak
Wait, one of those does not fit. Must be #3.
Anyway, in the heat, you're going to need moving air or you will spontaneously combust. Also helps to be blind drunk with a shotgun. Or, maybe that's just the Texas way, but it may work in your jurisdiction. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.