PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
One of the top reasons I became a cartoonist was the influence that Adam West's Batman had on me when the show appeared on television in 1966. The first episode was a big event in our neighborhood, and reception we gave it was loud and energetic. I got to meet Adam West some years back, and when I told him I knew I would become an artist when I saw him as Batman, he smiled, leaned back in his chair with a smile, and said, "That's very refreshing to hear. Over the years, I've had a lot of people tell me they became a private detective or a policeman because of me, but this is the first time anyone has told me they became a cartoonist because of me." We chatted for about ten minutes. I'm glad I had the chance to tell him that, RIP, Adam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArNisTaVlY

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
When I was a young boy, maybe 4 years old, my father took me to the World of Wheels car show. At the show, one of the main attractions that year was the Batmobile and.....Adam West was there in costume, signing autographs and taking pictures. We must have stood in line for nearly an hour, which was an eternity for a small boy waiting to see Batman! The meeting was brief, but I do remember him being very nice to me, always staying in character, which was really cool for me, because at 4 years old, I wasn't meeting Adam West, I was meeting BATMAN himself. I still have a photo of tiny me shaking hands across a table with Adam West, no matter how many reiterations appear on screen, Adam West will always be Batman to me. Rest In Peace caped crusader.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I remember the show. It was a landmark in ironic comedy, as well as being an adventure show. Though the later movies are fun, with vastly higher production costs, I don't think the TV show was ever really topped. Often, less is more, indeed.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Tec_143_pipe.jpg

Sigh. Saddened.

Jan 8, 2013
When I was a kid, I HAD to watch this, of course it was all re-runs when I started watching it, but I loved the show, and became a Batman fan at an early age. As I grew older, the show grew a little cheezy for my tastes. But Adam West and the show, again, made me a Batman fan, and Batman remained my favorite comic book character, and at 43 years of age I'm STILL a Batman fan. In fact, I was browsing new Batman comics earlier today when I heard the news. What a way to find out, that this man who first introduced me to the character, had died. Adam West, I may have grown out of your version of the Batman, but I always stuck with the Caped Crusader no matter what. Thanks, Batman. Rest In Peace.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I can't take credit for the idea, but all the other Barman actors should attend the funeral. All the Jokers and Riddlers, too. (Sort of like a presidential funeral.)

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
That's a great idea actually.
This is sad news indeed. He was a legend, that original series was so good...

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The guy had Bat Shark Repellent! He had everything on that utility belt. I remember trying to climb a tree in the backyard as a kid ala Batman, with clothes line. Didn't have the bat gloves...my hands suffered, and I failed.
Mike S.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Adam West was a great Batman for of us who watched the original series. The show was very campy and didn't hold up over time but for many of us the West Batman was the best.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The first tv show I really became fascinated with as a very young child. RIP Batman.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I remember watching Adam West's Batman during my middle school years, they were rerunning the series on TV. RIP Adam West.

Status
Not open for further replies.