PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I thought I'd pass this on to anyone who might benefit from it. I like high acid foods (carbs esp, and cranberry juice & selzer is a favorite beverage) but over the past ten years or more I found that my other favorite beverage, beer, was becoming impossible to drink. It would aggravate my stomach, cause heartburn, among other ailments, including bad hangovers (from even as few as 2 beers).
Much to my dismay, I eventually I had to give it up; but I could never understand why beer suddenly became my enemy. Recently however, for some reason it occurred to me to take a look at the Acid Alkaline Diet.
Anyway, to make a long story short, merely by increasing my intake of alkaline foods, such as broccoli (one large bowl) and sweet potatoes, all of the negative symptoms I was experiencing with beer disappeared. The change was dramatic and instantaneous.
Also, FWIW, don't assume that just because something is naturally high in acid that it must then be acidic, sometimes the opposite is true.
It's also worth noting that some ridicule the acid-alkaline diet, but at least in my experience, it proved to me that there's a certain amount of truth to it. FWIW, here's a list of acid/alkaline foods: http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm
I was very surprised that such a small change in my diet made such a noticeable difference.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks for sharing this numbersix. I truly believe diet plays a much larger part in our health than we're led to believe. Read Weston Price.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I too have experienced this, as well as other diet/nutrition related things. It’s not uncommon for tolerances to change as we age. In addition to the acid/alkaline issue, I have experienced dramatic, rapid improvements to digestive issues by getting on a regimen of organic raw food, probiotics and supplements.
One of the highest quality brands I’ve found is Garden of Life...especially their Raw Meal which also contains probiotics. This stuff is practically miraculous imo:
http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Meal.aspx
I subscribe to the school of thought that many disease states are the result of malnutrition. Many people get lots of calories but are still suffering from malnutrition and don’t know it. The body can repair itself in many cases when it gets the necessary nutrients. When it doesn’t, it can trigger individual genetic tendencies toward various disease states. Most supplements are synthetic and worthless however...unfortunately the quality organic stuff is not cheap.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys for your comments. I also recognize the link between diet and health - it is pretty obvious I admit, but I can be lazy when it comes to eating a well balanced diet. I am not a foodie by any stretch - I tend to eat as little as possible and do so just to get it out of the way - lol!
However, I was fairly shocked at how quickly my body reacted. If I didn't try a beer I probably wouldn't have noticed any positive effects but it proved to me that whether one notices it or not, ones body will probably reap many benefits.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
You are what you eat. Literally. I've tried over the years to stay away from all processed foods and beverages. Even make my own bread, pastries and pizza. It's amazing how short lived a loaf of fresh bread is compared to its highly processed counterpart, with preservatives, that'll last for weeks and still be "fresh". I also practice caloric restriction by eating oatmeal in the AM, then nothing all day till dinner. Walk a lot too. Have a big dog that needs a good five miles every coupla days. Works well for me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I also recognize the link between diet and health - it is pretty obvious I admit, but I can be lazy when it comes to eating a well balanced diet.
However obvious it is, or should be, very little emphasis is placed on nutrition in the mainstream medical model (I’m sure the influence of the pharmaceutical companies has nothing to do with it).
Also, even what is considered a well balanced diet is usually lacking in nutritional content due to the depleted condition of the soil much of it is grown in, among other things, such as pesticides. High quality supplementation is a necessity for most of us unfortunately, if we really want to prevent ill health imo.
merely by increasing my intake of alkaline foods, such as broccoli
I absolutely love broccoli...unlike some people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91au6Y5q8j0

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've tried over the years to stay away from all processed foods and beverages.
I do as well - gave up cola over 20 years ago, but as I am not inclined to go out of my way to eat only healthy or organic foods, I sometimes fall short of the mark.
Also, even what is considered a well balanced diet is usually lacking in nutritional content due to the depleted condition of the soil much of it is grown in, among other things, such as pesticides. High quality supplementation is a necessity for most of us unfortunately, if we really want to prevent ill health imo.
It can be difficult to eat well these days. Tomatoes in the supermarket look anemic compared with the heirloom tomatoes we grow in our backyard.
btw - as a big fan of Seinfeld - good find - lol!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Sorry, I would rather give up beer than eat broccoli!

Rest of it is OK. Good luck to you & glad it is working!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
A true beer lover will do what he needs to do to continue drinking the delicious brewed beverage of his choice.
Bravo.
Fuckin love broccoli. Nothing pairs better with a salmon steak. 8)

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
I'm guessing that this is the wrong thread to list the mountains of "fair-food" I plan to stuff myself with next month at the Florida State Fair. :wink:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A true beer lover will do what he needs to do to continue drinking the delicious brewed beverage of his choice.
True enough. There's a double IPA made locally here called Heddy Topper. Excellent, but I rarely enjoyed more than a sip due to my "condition". Now I can enjoy it with impunity. 8)
I'm guessing that this is the wrong thread to list the mountains of "fair-food" I plan to stuff myself next month at the Florida State Fair.
lol!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm guessing that this is the wrong thread to list the mountains of "fair-food" I plan to stuff myself with next month at the Florida State Fair.
lol ... Why wait for the fair when you can make those irresistible deep fried Twinkies at home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keKD4RDxvzM

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I started using Apple Cider Vinegar 3 years ago. A couple tablespoons in a cup of green tea with honey and lemon.

Twice a day at first and now once a day. Bragg's APC is the best as it's unfiltered.
This stuff helps everything from acne to arthritis, digestion and weight loss, etc ...
Somewhat counterintuitively, it has even helped my friend's heartburn / reflux!
Please read about it online and give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.