PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was listening to last weeks pipe radio show and the beginning segment had Brian explaining that he thought there were two different types of pipe people. He broke it down to tobacco guys and pipe guys. I admit it was a little confusing and I honestly do not know which group I fall into. Here is what I wrote in the thread commenting on the show explaining how I go about smoking and buying pipes.
" Not sure whether I am a pipe guy or tobacco guy. I smoke VA and Vaper Flakes only and buy artisan pipes most notably from Rad Davis because I love the way they smoke my flakes. I buy certain sized pipes and certain shapes to get the most out of my flakes. I dedicate my pipes to Va flakes and Vaper flakes. So what does this make me?"
Has anyone else listened to this segment and do you know which category you fall into, or do you not think that there are two categories.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I listened to it. Found it very interesting. Sounds like according to his theory, you would be a tobacco guy. I'm so new at this I will have to wait and see how I turn out!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bob, that is what I was kind of thinking. I have always been a tobacco junkie ever since I started smoking at 12 years old. First it was Tijuana Smalls and Wolf Bros. Rum Soaked Crooks then cigarettes, then premium cigars and then pipes. I have been smoking some sort of tobacco for 43 years straight.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well for me Im a tobacco guy... Although I can appreciate beautiful pipes, especially since I make furniture, I just dont have the funds for them... and even if I did, I would never buy a pipe to just sit there as decoration, ultimately whatever pipe I buy will be to smoke tobacco.
So with that said... I believe that the vast majority, unless you dont smoke and just buy pipes for the art of it, are tobacco guys or gals... because in the end we would all rather have good tobacco and lower end pipes than high end pipes and shitty tobacco.
But what the hell do I know. :puffy:

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Roth, you have me thinking of something I could imagine might give me some idea of what "sucking farts out of a dead rat's ass" must taste like. The only thing I can come up with is a 25 cent grape cigar from a convenience store. :). Very eloquent turn of phrase sir! I'm going to steal it! :)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I haven't listed to the show as of yet, but I'm going to say that I'm a bit of both. Having smoked cigars for so many years, I now enjoy both the subtlety of the pipe tobacco as well as having a good 'tool' to smoke it in.

I have just found out what smoking a good tobacco can mean in a good pipe; the pipes I have owned previously were very heavy and just did not do a good job; I would not have known that until I tried the same in better briars.
If you drive a Yugo, and have driven none other, that is just fine. If you then try a finer automobile, well then maybe you can see the difference.
IMHO

Allan

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I couldn't decide where I fit there. 76 pipes and 26 different tobaccos open at present, with another 2 dozen or so aging. Obsessed would be my choice, heh heh. I like it all.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I guess I would have to say that I am a pipe guy who loves his tobacco... 52 pipes and 33 open tobaccos at this time, with 29 others in the cellar.... 600+ cigars aging in humidors as well...

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I also heard the show. The pipe guy or tobacco guy segment really made me agree that Brian is an expert on his opinions. As for me, I smoke many different tobaccos out of many different pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.