PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Looking to share my resurrection attempt with this "Abused 1943 Dunhill Inner Tube" pipe. I took this on to stretch my techniques. It was in such a state on the auction as to be affordable for me. Most Dunhill Ebay auctions are beyond my means.
Here is what it looked like as it arrived - Stummel dirty. Bowl full of rock hard crust. Rim used light furnaces and hammer nails. Inner tube is missing in tenon

A shot of the damaged rim, excessive cake and lava, and chip missing from rear of bowl.

Here is the wee thing in process of repair - cleaned, reamed gently, light topping to even out jagged rim periphery, extensive rim rebuild with CA glue and briar dust, lots of file work and fine sanding. Note pipe has just been cleaned - not stripped, sanded or re-stained. Rim has been touched up with stain pens however to closely match bowl patina. I want 73 years of hard service to show on this old wee thing. Stem cleaned up nicely - minor tooth chatter, button was in surprisingly good shape.

The finished result. The pipe is a beaut to smoke. Its not going to win any Ms. Pipe Universe contests, but as a 73 year old warhorse, I'll treasure her.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice work!
The walls look thinner than any Dunhill I've ever seen, so I am wondering if it was reamed by a prior owner.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
I reamed the cake back to the existing briar inner surface and stopped. Its entirely possible the previous owner(s)? reamed the pipe in extremis prior to it ending up with me.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Question if I may - can one obtain a replacement inner tube from Dunhill? I like to bring this old dear right back to original intention... thanks

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I thought there wasn't something right about this pipe...it's not from 1943. The "INNER TUBE" mark was only used until 1934. So, the challenge is to decipher the patent number, and the date code after the patent. There doesn't appear to be a date code mark after the D in ENGLAND from looking at the auction picture. See here for more details,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Dunhill_Pipe_Dating_Guide
My best speculative guess, after zooming in on the picture, is PAT. NO. 5861/12 with a date code of 5, 1925. One of those times a loupe comes in handy!
:)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Nice restore! And I must say, the before pictures are absolutely amazing. I just love the old, beat down, well loved, pipe pictures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You get a surge of pride and satisfaction with your work every time you smoke that one, for many years to come. Congratulations.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Good morning all you Saturday morning pipe folk!
Here is a picture of the right side stampings
nomaclaure-600x338.png

They are extremely worn as you can see. I did apply George D's technique of **gently** brushing the stamping out with a really soft brass bristle brush followed by soft nylon toothbrush during the gentle cleaning phase. This is what I ended up with. I didn't want to get any more aggressive as I felt I could erase whats left even further.
I took it as an article of faith from the seller as to its date of manufacture. Caveat Emptor and all of that on me. If it turns out to not be a 1943, thats alright. Thanks again for the feedback.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Oh yes, as to the rim rebuilding, I used the method outlined by both Steve Laug (Reborn Pipes) and Charles Lemon (Dadspipes) - very fine briar dust mixed gradually into a puddle of medium viscosity CA glue, then applied via toothpick to the area requiring build out. I go really slow, building layers and then filing back with needle files and fine grades of sandpaper to blend. Note these areas will not take high heat, but they will put structure back. I measure the risk and into the brink I threw myself.
One could of course epoxy piece of briar to a really big chip as a 'dutchman" , then work back into shape and then stain to match. As this was a restoration, I wanted minimal intervention. Honoring the wee dear thing so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.