About to try G.L. Pease's The Virginia Cream...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
The tin is open. I was greeted with a pleasant bourbon and sweet, candy-like smell. The beautifully-cut bright Virginias look moist, but not goopy. This tin is dated 10-1-15.
Not being a frequent aromatic smoker, I intend to pack loose and light in a large pot (a Peterson 106) in about an hour. Any advice is welcome!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My first taste of Virginia Cream was at first opening of the tin. Not my favorite. But after a year of not touching the tin, the next smoke was actually quite pleasant. Since it was opened previously, the aging issues is up for grabs. Who knows if closed tin or open tin aging is significantly different.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It sounds delicious. Maybe someday on an order, but I like this whole semi-aromatic trend. Love the leaf to keep it real.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
So far like a very nice root beer float. Makes me wish it was Summer.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Nice, sweet vanilla aftertaste (I'm a third in, letting the pipe rest).
I know it says "bourbon", but I get... I don't know, Courvoisier maybe? (minus the pear maybe?) Definitely a nice spirit.
It's not burning hot at all. I'm glad I packed light, I can "hear" it being a bit moist (but not bad).
Room note is pleasant.
I'm intrigued.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Just about through my first tin. Have to get some more on order. It's been my go to. Good choice on your pot shape I think Virginia Cream does best in big wide bowl.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Still alive and puffing. Relight was good.
Still intrigued, it's definitely got my attention. I'm struggling teasing out the flavors, all I know is I'm enjoying it.
Definitely *not* rye-heavy bourbon, that I'm convinced of.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Dense and copious smoke production for sure, which does make it feel creamy. Not as creamy as, say, a Davidoff Gran Cru, but creamier than most pipe tobaccos.
About half way I dumped ash and more sweetness came forward. Not particular to this blend, just idiosyncrasy.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Definitely a nice blend!
I love that the tobacco taste is very much present, and the flavoring does not overwhelm. Will definitely revisit it.
The pipe clearly smells of it. I'll wait a couple of days and see how much ghost was left behind.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
r: I admit to being a nic wimp, a wuss, pansy, etc. I tried VC and really liked it, even enjoyed it. On two different occasions I filled 'er up and smoked 'er down. No problem.
Then not too many days ago I got in a hurry and began puffing away. And, there it was. My ol' bugaboo, green gills and all.
I know most of you guys don't have a problem with heavy nic tobaccos. I didn't either years ago. I could smoke the toughest thing on the planet. But no longer. I have to be careful.
I really want to like VC, but it will require much puff management for me.
Just my two.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Tennsmoker: sorry to hear! I am not nic sensitive and can't quite tell how heavy this is, especially since I tend to gravity pack Aros very loosely... Perhaps try it in a group 2?
I just sniffed the pipe and can tell I smoked The Virginia Cream in it. I'll put some PA in it tomorrow and see if I can sense any ghost.... G.L. Pease says a design goal was to make an aro that did not ghost pipes, so I am curious (and I'm sure he pulled it off, just want to see...)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I wrote a short review on it when I first got some. Having been smoking it a while now, my opinion is the only things distinguishing it above other bourbon-cased aros are it has a respectable nic content, and it doesn't leave goop in the bowl. Taste-wise there's nothing remarkable about it. The combination of cuts makes it challenging to get it packed just right consistently. And if you puff a little too fast it bites. I'll finish up what I have but can't see buying more.
As aros go, Eric Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1931 Flake is far and away the best I have ever found. It's pricey but worth it. Burns cool and long, plenty of nic, consistent light honey flavor throughout the bowl that doesn't overwhelm the natural tobacco flavor, and a room-note that seems to delight everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.