PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
If the title sounds familiar to some of you, that's because I've already posted this in another forum. I don't usually do this but on this occasion I'd like to maximize the number of responses as much as possible. On with the post!
So i've had the hots for a straight Dunhill for a while, and I just came across this example in a local spanish online pipesmokers' market.
TP_Dunhill_44_U_80.jpg

It's a Dunhill Shell Canadian/straight Dublin, I can't tell because the shank seems too short for a Canadian and too long for a Dublin, according to the ad text the shape number is 44.
I shot the market's admin an email asking a few questions and apparently:
The pipe is used but in good condition, no burnouts, no cracks.

Is caked, but not heavily

Doesn't have overtly appreciable ghosts

The stem is original, and doesn't have bitemarks.
What can you guys tell me about this particular Dunnie shape number? The shank and mouthpiece seem somewhat long, will it be comfortable to clench? Any ideas as to how much it'll weigh? Is there anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger? Is it priced fairly? Any other thoughts whatsoever? Whoa that was a serious barrage of questions...
Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to what actual Dunhill pipe model and manufacture date this could be?
Thanks in advance for your comments!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there. Nice looking pipe. For a $100, barring any fatal flaws like burnouts, cracks, replacement stem or a chewed through bit, I think you're getting a good deal. You'd certainly be able to earn back your cost on re-sale if you didn't make a little bit of money.
I'd say that's a Billiard, not a Dublin or Canadian. The bowl shape is wrong for a Dublin, and the shank is too short (and stem too long) for it to be a Canadian. Yes, the stem is long, but I doubt that will make it uncomfortable to clench.
Most folks will have a hard time guessing weight without knowing group size of the pipe.
I wouldn't buy any pipe without a clear understanding of weights and measures, as well as clear photos of the rim, the interior of the bowl, the interior of the shank, all nomenclature, and a full 360 of the exterior of the pipe. See if the vendor can give you this information, you'll feel better with your buy if you know this stuff in advance.
Best,
-- Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Shape 44 should be a group 3 size oval stem billiard, a catalog image can be seen here,
http://pipepages.com/dpsc7.htm

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Ok i got the rest of the markings. Apparently they are as follows

Dunhill

Shell Briar

Made in England

3 Inside a circle (I figured out this is the bowl size, size three is a little smaller than average right?)

an M above a T (perhaps kind of stem? I thought F/T stood for fishtail)
Unfortunately no photos

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah sorry Pruss Billiard not Dublin, I knew the shapes but got mixed up in my noobness...
Awesome catalog pic DMCMTK! thanks!!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
What everyone else said is pretty accurate, some good knowledge there. I agree, this is definitely a billiard shape. As far as the manufacture date, does it have a patent number on it? Or is there a number after the "D" in ENGLAND. I'm no expert, but if it is the former, it was made in the early 1950's or before. I know there were a couple years in the early '50s that both patent numbers as well as the number alone after the "D" in ENGLAND were used at the same time. The numbers in the '50s would have been underlined, while the number after the 'D' from 1960-1990s would have been a stand alone number without being underlined. From 1960 on the number began at "0" and went up to 30-something in the 90s. So for example, a 1984 manufactured pipe (my birth year) would have the number "24" after the 'D' in ENGLAND. 60+24=84.
If you want to know more, check here:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/index.html
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Dunhill
http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/duntob1.htm
Good luck and hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.