About to place an order. TAD beckons me, want opinions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Okay, I'm about to place an order with pipesandcigars.com. I haven't tried them yet, and they have some really good prices and shipping is very doable. Here's what I'm planning to get, of which, none of these I've tried:
Four ounces of Lane 1Q. I've heard really good things on here as far as it being a good go to aromatic.
A tin of Sutliff Academy. I enjoy G.L. Pease Westminster and Peterson's Old Dublin. Is it really a good cross between an aro and an English?
A tin of Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular. Another aro, mainly because my wife prefers it when I smoke aros at home.
Now, I'm looking for opinions on this mix. Would you stay away from any particular one, or substitute one for something else? Let me know.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'm not a big Sutliff fan, so I'd probably substitute that one for something like Blue Mountain or Black House. I haven't tried the Westminster or the Old Dublin, so can't give any opinion there.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Is there a reason why you don't care for Sutliff? I've read good things about their Academy, and the price can't be beat. Do yourself a favor as well and get a tin of Old Dublin. It's English through and through, but there are some really fantastic sweet notes that come through ever so slightly. It's a real pleasure to smoke.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've only had the Sutliff No.5 and it was just OK for me. I second the Black House and if you want something more complex, try Magnum Opus. I've never heard anything bad about any of the 7 seas line and I personally like 7 Seas Royal. 1-Q is a good, never-fail aro and I would also reccommend their Fusion Lab's Caramel Apple Pie!

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Many Sutliff blends are sopping aro's. When I mean sopping, I mean to the point of the syrup collecting like grease in a pan. I have only tried one of their non-aromatics and it was, like Baron stated, just OK.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Pipe and Cigars will take good care of you. Out of the blends you have named I've only smoked Old Dublin and 1Q, both of which I've enjoyed in the past. My tastes have changed and I now find 1Q to be a little too mild, but you should still give it a try because it does have a very nice flavor and a room not that most people enjoy.
A new favorite of mine that I think you may enjoy and your wife won't reject is Seattle Pipe Club’s Mississippi River. If you're interested P&C sells it in a tin and in bulk.
Happy puffing!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
While I give Black House my vote, I will say you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't (maybe not with this order, but at some point) get a tin of Sutilff Molto Dolce. Yes, it is a horrible goopy mess when you first open the tin, but leave it out on a paper towel for a few hours and it will dry out. Once it does, it's like smoking a candy bar. Very sweet, voluminous clouds of smoke with a room note to please everyone around you. Definitely a wife-pleaser.
If you're after a complex smoke, again, H&H Black House gets my vote. Hands down.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Read Greg Pease's Primer on it and you will...
-Jason
*Edit* -Grousemoor is a decent blend. Not my favorite Samuel Gawith blend, but decent. I'm surprised Lawrence is letting anyone buy it at all... :lol:

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Interesting read Jason. A little tough for me to comprehend everything, considering that I'm still pretty new at this, but I got the gist.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I will second both Molto Dolce and Grousemoor. Like Jason said, let it sit awhile and it'll dry, but just remember that it is super goopy. I think that's the thing I don't like about Sutliff blends and I'd much rather be able to smoke right out of the tin vs having to let sit for awhile. Grousemoor is a great blend that I found last Spring. I haven't smoked much of it, but it does seem to fit with Springtime.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Okay, I just placed the order. One tin each of Black House, Grousemoor and 7 Seas Regular. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be sure to post my experiences with these. Thanks again!

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Blackhouse is pretty refined. Westminster is a must try. Mississippi River is on my next order. I hear it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.