PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

Guys I read somewhere on the forums that under 200g orders usually went without payment of various customs, provincial taxes and handling fees, etc. This is the second time I order 6oz of tobacco and get nailed a significant amount.

I would sure want to appeal of this if I could but not sure how to proceed.

Can one of the Canucks shed some light on this matter? I have been looking online and can't find anything that would support that claim.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
200g rule applies only if you were outside of Canada for 48hr+. Mail order has no "duty free" minimal amount. Actually, anything you purchase online fron other countries is subject to duty and taxes. Only "gifts" $25 and under are exempt.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
After I was nailed last Month, I called the Border People direct. Spoke with the man and he told me explictedly, No duty free via the mail!!!!! The taxes are 5 times the value of the package. He was very nice and very patient with me so no complaints here

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
As mentioned the 200 g rule is only for out-of-country visits.
Importing tobacco, you are subject to federal and provincial taxation as per the Tobacco Act. But just what gets hit at the border depends very much on the supplier and the point of entry.
Even if you do get hit, it generally costs less than buying at a store.

P

pipebuddy

Even if you do get hit, it generally costs less than buying at a store.
Unfortunately, in my case, more often than not, it ends up costing more than the average price of the province I live in. :crazy:

P

pipebuddy

Ok; so now I know this 200g rule is rubbish when ordering online. Thanks guys!

You know, just to "protect" the tobacco that I am mailing to Canada (hypothetically speaking of course) I find that if I stuff the tobacco into a teddy bear, it keeps the tobacco more moist and protects it from the harsh cold of the Canadian environment. Just an idea, but this works well with teddy bears, Barney Toys, crochet'd pillows, etc...
It protects the tobacco from the brutal treatment of the rough shod Canadian delivery companies and keeps it nice and cozy warm. Tobacco cozies, that's what I would call them. :puffy:

P

pipebuddy

In any case, teddy bears worked pretty well for Elvis. :mrgreen:

Mar 1, 2014
I’ve never tested it but apparently you can bring 200 Cigars back from the U.S.

That’s very nearly a Kilo of tobacco if you get the right kind.

Ironically it would actually be cheaper to shred duty free cigars than buy Pipe Tobacco in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.