PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I suppose that like some other folks of the so called older generation I tend to shy away from a lot of modern high tech gizmos.But when my wife wanted me to learn how to text her I gave in and went to the phone company to get them to show me how.The first thing the fella asked me was how long I had that old outdated phone.Then he picked up a smart phone and said this is what you need.My first thought was that it was far to complicated for me.In the last six months though as i've slowly learned more about how to use this phone i've come to really to like it.It can do a lot of things that I won't use it for,but so can this computer that I'm using now...SO..My point here is there's really no reason to be out there hiding from those evil smart phones.If this 72 year old Carolina boy can use one anyone can.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
puffy:
I agree that the technology itself isn't something for anyone to shy away from. However, having said that, I agree with the poet Wordsworth who stated that, "The world is too much with us..." I know that he was not referring to "smart" phones, but his words were prophetic nonetheless. Witness that little (or not so little, depending upon the brand and model) device's power to mesmerize and entrance.
As a case-in-point a few weeks back my wife and me went to dinner, and after we were seated a party of four (Dad, Mom, and two children) were seated at the table next to ours. Immediately after sitting down each of them whipped out their "smart" phones and began to Twit or Tweet or Text or Sext, or whatever it is that they do...for at least 10 minutes, without ever acknowledging or speaking to each other! If that's "smart," then give me a dumb-phone.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
NOOOOOOOOOO thank you, love my flip phone. Everywhere I go folks are playing or looking at there phones.

I own the phone the phone does not own me. :puffy:

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
My phone amazes me almost every single day. It's pretty amazing how far we've come.
But hunter and Teddy do have their points. We humans are at risk of becoming disconnected from our immediate surroundings and instead being connected to the entire planet 24 hours a day. It's quite fascinating, and as an introvert I rather like it.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I was forced to buy a Smart phone when my old "dumb" phone finally quit. I really wanted just a standard cell phone. I was resistant at first, but the price difference was a factor. $150 for the dumb phone vs. an Apple iphone 5 for less than $100. OK, I bit. And I'm glad I did. What an amazing tool. And I use it as a tool, NOT an entertainment device.
I can check emails, send emails and photos, take photos, use the flashlight (very handy), scan barcodes, translate languages (VERY useful in Europe), check my speed, get directions or a map, listen to the radio, check the scores, surf the web, check the weather, etc, Oh, and send the occasional rare text.
I absolutely, positively NEVER use it while driving. That's what voicemail is for. I just wish more folks would refrain from texting while driving. It's a huge and dangerous problem.
It is a bit depressing to watch a bunch of kids sitting around in silence, staring at their EDD (Electronic Distraction Device) and not conversing with each other. But such is the world today. Sigh.
CACooper

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I was the same way. I refused to give up my indestructible flip phone for the longest time, but then they offered an iphone for .99 cents. I must admit it was a pain in the ass to set it up and program everything . I was ready to smash it the first day I had it. I use it all the time now. Having internet in my pocket is pretty damn handy. I surf pipemag forum on it at work all the time. Like right now for example. The only drawback is that you can't post pics on the forum with an iphone. One step at a time. I still haven't given up my CD collection for digital yet.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Only if you let it can a phone gain control. I have an iPhone that I can make phone calls on, text and get the weather. It'll get me from point A to point B so that I, as a man, never have to ask directions there by endangering my "membership." It's is also very handy when having to sit through a boring movie or lecture.
Where it really shines is in Europe as I can check the currency exchange rate any time. It's loaded with an app that advises me of tides, sun rises, sun and lunar arcs over lay a map so that I can determine where I need to be to get the lighting I desire, etc., all the info I need when planning a photo shoot in territory I'm not familiar with. The compass is adequate so that's another piece of gear I can leave at home as well as the tide table and almanac. I can transfer moneys between accounts without a long distance call to the bank. It is indeed a money saver!
I'm sure I do not use half of the phone's capability. I'm happy that it does what I need.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Immediately after sitting down each of them whipped out their "smart" phones and began to Twit or Tweet or Text or Sext, or whatever it is that they do...for at least 10 minutes, without ever acknowledging or speaking to each other!"
The dad was probably the twit for not realizing his teenage daughter was Sexting nude pictures to her boyfriend!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good for you Puffy, an old dog can learn new tricks!
I had a Blackberry for years, and then an Android with a slide-out keyboard. Now, all that is left are touch screen keyboards. I bitched and moaned for weeks about the lack of a tactile keyboard. I can type really fast with both hands. Work provides my phone and when my keyboard phone croaked I had to go to the touch-screen keyboard. I still complained about it, than I saw co-worker shoot out a lengthy email in about 20 seconds. He show me how he used the "swerve" function. It was frustrating at first, but I stuck with it and I can now send an email or type a forum reply in short order with minimal mistakes. I'm finally no longer frustrated with this phone.
8185963607_56d27ba9bb_z.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to say I love my iPhone, but I do put it down. Whenever I'm out eating somewhere it's in my pocket. If I'm out with friends it's usually away unless we're taking a selfie or I'm showing them some awesome picture. I use it to text family back east, check emails, browse the forums, see what's new on smokingpipes.com, and haunt pipe carver Instagram accounts and drool over pipes. Like all things, a happy medium is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.