About how much would you say this Comoy would usually sell for?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Just wondering how good (or bad) a deal I got as the purchaser (don't forget shipping price).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&autorefresh=true&hash=item3cc5cbfb2f&item=261016517423&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=oCfeO0YQM3I%252B5KhWkM8pEeC6Iic%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Were Comoy's "great pipes" back when this one was made as the seller claims?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
It's a nice looking pipe. I'd say if it smokes well and you like it, then you got a good deal.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I would say you did a good job. For 42 bucks you can't really go wrong with a Comoy, especially unsmoked. I can't tell from the pictures, because I'm viewing it on my phone, but if the "made in London England" is in two straight lines, it was made before the merger. In the early 70s, when Comoy merged with GBD, the quality slowly declined but by no means are they bad pipes. I have one and its one of my best smokers.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Thanks guys...but, being that old and unsmoked (and Comoy's now aren't exactly "cheap"), is this a $100 pipe? A $200 pipe? Or is it just, "eh, what you paid sounds about right?"
ETA: Simulpost, kyle. Thanks.
No, not two straight lines. :(

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I couldn't tell you a price, but I'd say for buying it in the condition it's in, you definitely got a deal. Then again, that's all my opinion. My facts might not be 100% accurate, but it's pretty close (from what I read when I bought mine)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think you got a very good deal on that.
I preserved the pic for you.
xrays-comoy.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It's ebay, so it's worth what you paid for it.
That aside, you didn't pay too much, but you aren't going to turn around and sell it for any more.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Thanks, Kevin.
A pipe or any other item is worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

Yeah, yeah, I know. That's why I asked what it would usually go for and not what it's worth; I was anticipating that reply. ;)
Just being greedy and hoping I got a rarity at a steal.
Thanks, jpberg.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Looks fine to me.

Like someone else said, if it smokes well and makes you happy then it was worth your money!

Haply puffing with the new pipe! :puffpipe:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I dunno what it would usually go for but I think more than that. I have a friend with almost the dame pipe, I didn't notice the date on yours but he got his new in the late 80's & he wouldn't take for it, says its the best pipe he's ever owned..

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
I would say that the sellers dating seems to be accurate. I would say 1970's to mid 80's.

In its unsmoked condition I would put a market price on it of $85.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Recently I bought a Comoy's Sunrise for $75.00 from a local shop. it was unsmoked, and with the first bowl I found that I was quite satisfied with my purchase. Your pipe looks like a great pipe at a fair price, and if you enjoy it, all the more.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, yeah, I know. That's why I asked what it would usually go for and not what it's worth; I was anticipating that reply. [;)]
Just being greedy and hoping I got a rarity at a steal.
Thanks, jpberg.
Yeah :) The stamping looks like you got what you paid for. That being said, there's no reason that it shouldn't turn out to be one of the best deals you ever got.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i would probably have paid up to about US $40 for that pipe so I think you got a good deal
Comoys in my experience have always been reliable and good smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, I had to take a 2nd look at that, that sure is a drilled 3 pc logo, I'd say you did quite well! That round Made In London England logo was used in the late 50's to the mid 60's. So that is worth quite a bit more than $30, heck of a find!
Comoys are tough to date, because they started using old stamping styles on the newer pipes, but never the drilled, 3 pc logo (drilled once for a white bar, drilled a 2nd time for insertion of a black rod in middle of the white bar, drilled a 3rd time to insert a tiny white rod in the O to make it a "C", which I find fascinating!)
Here's a shot of a drilled 3 pc Comoy's log on my Old Bruyere Pot (57-60's?) The shot in your ebay add is better.

$(KGrHqV,!isE69Z-N+qrBPosLwwfow~~60_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.