PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Newbie here and I’m struggling to understand all the abbreviations. Looked for a sticky post but didn’t see one. Can someone post a quick link?
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here are a few:

PAD -- pipe acquisition disorder

TAD -- tobacco acquisition disorder

OTC -- over the counter (tobaccos)

B&M -- brick and mortar, like a pipe shop

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A lot of it will also be getting familiar with tobacco brands.
When a lazy person like me says," I'm smoking MB HH ODF RR."
In English, it means MacBaren HH series Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed.
I once gave an IOU to the UPS for a COD. They called the FBI....
(OK, kids, go Google COD... :nana: )
jay-roger.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’m a non-fan of acronyms. They suck the meaning out of words. It’s a pain in the ass to parse acronyms on a pipe forum, but why in the world would a church do it? I’d never want to belong to a church called UCC or RC. When I was a kid, I always thought that the church was radio controlled.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Yes it would be nice if the OP (original poster) spelled out the item of discussion just once in tobacco threads. I’m not familiar with all 10K blends on the market.
My favorite blend at the moment is JA BF. It’s great. You should try it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In posts, I sometimes spell out abbreviations for newcomers and just out of rebellion. The military and the government, but also most occupations, love to abbreviate, though it is usually unnecessary. If an organization or phrase is so long it needs abbreviation, usually a shorter term is needed, and available.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
For me starting out, it is mostly the tobacco brands and types. I normally keep SP (Smoking Pipes) open in another window and jump over there if I see something I don’t recognize. That’s worked most, but not all of the time.
Jim

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@redone - Smoking Pipes (smokingpipes.com) is actually abbreviated SPC. Scandinavian Premium, which is a great Snuss, is abbreviated SP.
:rofl:
So I had to put in an emoji. Because even though what I said is true, there is a whole industry of regulating abbreviations in the U.S.. In medicine, abbreviations were banished a few years ago, especially when handwritten notes were replaced by EMRs (haha, Electronic Medical Records). The problem with abbreviations is that there is no "rule" as to the correct abbreviation, there is no Webster's Dictionary to define one man's vs another's. Even if there were, the millennial generation would probably be offended by the use of abbreviations they don't agree with.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
See? I abbreviate SmokingPipes.Com as SmoPiCo. Sort of like Serpico, but without the "m" and add an "r" instead and then an "e" and then move the other letters around a bit and double one of them. At least that's how I remember to do it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I prefer anagrams to acronyms. I think of smokingpipes as either epsom pigskin, misspoken pig, Pepsi smoking, poems spiking, or my favorite: sipping smoke.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Anagrams are much better. So is Cockney rhyming slang. For instance, OGS was Orlik Golden Sliced, but I decided to call it a hot mess, which I shortened to hot, but no one understood and it always reminded me of my buddy Karl, who is a real mess. So I just ask for a Hot Karl when I need some OGS. It works wonders on some of these forums and for searching tobacco sales sites.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Anagrams are much better. So is Cockney rhyming slang. For instance, OGS was Orlik Golden Sliced, but I decided to call it a hot mess, which I shortened to hot, but no one understood and it always reminded me of my buddy Karl, who is a real mess. So I just ask for a Hot Karl when I need some OGS. It works wonders on some of these forums and for searching tobacco sales sites.

I peed my pants reading this one Crash! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.